Halibut Cheeks

Was thinking of picking some up from my local market. I’ve never prepared them at home before. Any favorite recipes ? Pairings ?

Man I love Fish Cheeks. One night I made fresh pesto and pan roasted some halibut cheeks with a little bit of salt/pepper/evoo/lemon and mixed it together over some pasta. The Cheeks are so oily and rich that they just absorb all the flavors around them. DROOOL. I’m sure there are far more complicated recipes… but that one takes the cake for me.

Also I’ve had it prepared in boiled hot sauce before as well as in preserved mustard greens, fish sauce, soy, salt, pepper, and sugar in the oven. (Both at chinese restaurants). Now I want to go buy some halibut cheeks =(

I’m not a fish eater, so my experience with halibut cheeks is limited to my husband’s many negative experiences in restaurants. He’s always excited to hear they’re on the menu, and then always disappointed in finished product. I remember one preparation in particular: halibut cheeks in some sort of huckleberry sauce. The delicate white fish took on the most ridiculous purple color! His comments are always the same: the preparation always overwhelms the fish.

So go simple :wink:

Thanks for the advice Charlie. I think Halibut cheeks would do well with a simple Asian preparation. Surprisingly my local market sold out of 30 lbs. in one morning, so I got shut out. I’ll have to call early next time.

Stole this on line, but its sounds good.

Barbecued Marinated Halibut Cheeks

Ingredients:

1 lb Halibut Cheeks
1 lb fresh Button Mushrooms
2 small Zucchini, sliced
1 fresh Pineapple
12 long Bamboo Skewers

For the Marinade:

1 Tbsp Szechwan Peppercorns
4 oz Butter
2 Tbsp Shallots, sliced
1 Tbsp Garlic, sliced
1/2 to 1 Tbsp Chives, chopped
1 Tbsp whole leaf Parsley
1 tsp Five-Spice Powder
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Maple Syrup

Directions:

In a hot sauté pan, add the Szechwan peppercorns and toast until their aroma is released. Remove immediately from the pan and set aside. In another sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Lower the heat and add the shallots, garlic, chives, parsley, five-spice powder, toasted peppercorns, soy sauce, and maple syrup. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool marinade completely. Cut halibut cheeks into bite-size pieces and add to the cooled marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes.

Cut pineapple into bite-size chunks. Skewer halibut cheeks, mushrooms, zucchini, and pineapple. Prepare barbecue and grill skewers. Cook skewers about 3 minutes on each side while basting frequently with marinade. Serve with a fresh salad.

[shrug.gif] HUH!!!

shellfish?

No one was more shocked than me, Jordan. When I was in Lima, Peru a few weeks ago, I ate seafood at virtually every meal, breakfast included. In my opinion, one of the great things about seafood is that, unlike other kinds of meat, it never gets tiresome. But Melissa is right: that huckleberry presentation for halibut cheeks was a total loser.

I love 'but cheeks
[wow.gif]

NSFW? Or, at the very least, TMI? [blush2.gif]

First, they should be fresh off the boat. And as fresh cheeks are rather rare, you might want to get on your fishmongers phone list for when they come in.

Fresh ‘but cheeks (I love that, thanks Sarah!!!) are so sweet and tender you should make them your first time in a simple butter/wine/chives saute’. For me, that’s how I would make them every time. Why fix it if it ain’t baroque?

I do not recommend this preparation: