Gueuze and Lambics

A little bottle age can help, which is why I like Hannsen’s geuze so much; they don’t sell it until it’s been in the bottle 3 years. I would highly recommend seeking that out if you want to see a little more mature complexity. I’ll second the serving temperature idea. I never drink these any cooler than slightly chilled, maybe 55 degrees F.

Thanks Brian,

I will post after I taste.

I grabbed a bunch. Didn’t see any Hansens or Cuvee Rene’ but grabbed:
3 Froneinen Oude Geuze bottled 2006
the Cantillon 2006 Lou Pepe
Girardin Gueuze 1882 Black Label no bottling date
Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait no bottling/best before date 8% ABV, Hmmmmm …
Cantillon Vigneronne 2008 Mmmmmmmm . . . Muscat!
the '05 Iris
the Cantillon Grand Cru & Classic

I even like the Lindemanns Kriek & Framboise. Most of the time I blend it with ~ 15% Syrah - Petite Sirah - or other big red. Pretty friggin’ exotic & Great. Of course most of my friends think I’m Nuts! LOL Who Cares - I know what I Like!?! :wink:

Never seen the Fou Founne - I think it’s apricot.

The Doesjel does sound intriguing - is this just an odd stuck fermentation? Or something they do purposely?

The '99 sounds Really interesting. I do like how they develop with some bottle age, but don’t like them to have much oxidation. Let me know when you crack that puppy?

CHEERS!

newhere

I’ve never had a chance to try Cantillon’s Vigneronne – it sounds delicious!! And the idea of mixing a fruit lambic with a touch of dry red wine sounds crazy - I’ll have to give that a whirl sometime!

The Fou Founne is, indeed, made with apricots – I was mis-remembering that yesterday.

The Doesjel is a stuck fermentation – they did not do it on purpose, but decided to bottle it anyways. The word “Doesjel” has something to do with “sleeping” or “slumber” – they named this bottling as such because of its “sleeping” fermentation.

I’ll certainly post when I pop ‘em [berserker.gif]

That Cantillon Vigneronne is quite interesting. As I remember, it’s a little sweet, but I don’t hold that against it. An interesting fact is that the Cantillon Iris is not lambic. It doesn’t qualify because of the grain and hops being used. It’s all explained on their (very informative) website.

This is my friend’s site:
http://cookingwithcantillon.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good stuff!

very cool! and he’s even got a little blurb about the Fonteinen “Doesjel” on the front page. [basic-smile.gif]

Gee, I wonder why I posted the link?
lol
:wink:
[berserker.gif]

[rofl.gif] newhere

I just cut my teeth on Lindemans. Will look for some of the ones mentioned here.

Hey Doug,

They’re both pretty Amazing brews.

I had the Vigneronne last weekend for the first time. It was dry, actually - although didn’t seem quite as dry as the Grand Cru or Lou Pepe.

As for the Iris - They call it Ale. I consider it Lambic. It tastes like Lambic.
It is slightly sweeter, and less sour than other Cantillon brews, but I wouldn’t call it sweet by a long shot. The bitterness is nice, but fairly light.
Still a really complex (3 years in old lambic barrels) brew, whatever we call it!

Their site does have a lot of info, but it just makes me thirsty for the flavors I can’t find yet!?!

http://www.cantillon.be/br/3_111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PROOST!

I just had a Cantillon St Lamvinus the other night. Made with Merlot grapes. It’s quite dark in color, darker than most rose wines. It has a great balance of classic lambic flavors with the varietal character of the Merlot. It’s probably a little sweeter than a geuze, but only very slightly; it tastes a little less sour (still sour!) rather than sweet at all. This bottle had a distinct chalkiness, but I think that might have been because it had been travelling around just before opening and the lees hadn’t quite settled. Still delicious!

I noticed on the Shelton Brothers website that they recently got some 1996 geuze from Cantillon. Has anyone seen this? If someone does I’d love to get a bottle. It probably didn’t make it to Maine unless my local beer bar got some.

I’m sure it’s no news to anyone who’s already a fan, but I am being reminded right now of how food friendly these beers are. I’m drinking a Girardin Gueuze 1882 with a lentil and rice wrap I toasted with cheese and a bunch of powdered/dried herbs and flavorings (basil, oregano, garlic, onion). Not exactly gourmet fare, I know, but for something I threw together in about 3 minutes it’s good (lentils and rice were obviously precooked). And the Girardin is great with it. It really cuts through the richness of the cheese and compliments the herbal flavors in there. The beer is simplified just a bit by the strength of the onion and garlic, but it also becomes a bit less sour and the more pretty fruit elements come forth. Plus it really cleanses my palate of the food and leaves me wanting another bite.

I’ve tried lambic with many foods and my results have ranged from okay (salty nuts don’t work too well, surprisingly) to great (savory foods seem to work quite well). What I find is that I need to think of the beer more like a wine than a beer. Does anyone have any really good or really bad pairings they’ve found? How about just general guidelines?

HaandBryggeriet Haandbakk
Norway’s first response to the surge of interest in sour ales. Brewed in '06 with 2 years of barrel aging.

This is a good ol’ brown ale brewed with wild yeast. There are aromas of bing cherries, brown sugar, and that “sour” funk. I found the body fairly light and an excellent choice for beginners, but you sour wimps (read: Zach Lang) probably won’t be able to appreciate the complexity of flavor without your mouths screwing shut while you openly weep. Babies.

The initial “zap” of cherry tartness gives way to elements of lactose, vanilla, spice, and nuts. It’s wicked pissah kid.

flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile This beer is absolutely stunning. Hate the $11/500mL pricetag, but will continue to pay it.

Yep, I totally heart this beer.

I’ll have to try to find that one. Do you know who imports it? The name is familiar, so I think it’s available around here.

Lindemann’s - Faro Lambic
– 375mL, capped and corked –
– tasted non-blind over 20 - 30 minutes –

NOSE: old wood – reminds me quite a lot of the 1996 Brassiere “Cochonne” I’ve had a couple times recently; a bit funky; scorched vegetables; squash

BODY: orange-brownish hue; thin head; medium bodied

TASTE: not as sour as a typical gueuze; sweet potatoes; oak; a tad pukey; more sweet than sour; I like it.

I must give a huge “thanks” to Mr. Bob Hudak, who went through the trouble of shipping this bottle all the way across the country to me so I could enjoy my first ever Faro. Thank you, good sir! [thankyou.gif] [cheers.gif]

“A tad pukey”??

Every thing else sounds good exept for this statement. Not sure what to make of it.

Jeremy,

The combination of lactic acid, brett, & some funky old oak can give a slightly bile-like, or pukey flavor. Just the flavor - NOT the aroma, though! Ha Ha Ha

These are the Greatest Beers in the world - nothing is even close, really.

I used to think the quality gap (don’t mean that in a bad way) between Lambic & other beer was similar to Yquem over the other Sauternes/Barsac . . . well - 'til Pierre Lurton took over & started using a more “elegant” model for production at Yquem, but that’s another story!? ! :wink: Don’t get me started!? !

I DO Love other (esp. Belgian) Brews too, though.

Cheers to the Sours!

[drinks.gif]

I guess this post is a little late in coming, but someone brought a sour to Berserkerfest 2 (Loring party) that was REALLY sour and REALLY refreshing after all of those “slutty reds”. Anyone know which one I am talking about? I would love to get some.