Greatest Expressions of Sangiovese?

This.

1 Like

My best sangiovese : Brunello di Montalcino Soldera Case Basse 2012 : 18,5/20 (in 2017)

My Costco (The District in Irvine) has had Percarlo on the shelf for most of the last year. So I don’t think you need to worry that mentioning it on this thread is going to create a problem.

1 Like

I haven’t had as much Soldera as I would like, but to me it is sui generis, like Rayas or Vatan, nothing else is quite like it.

Valdicava was my Italian wine epiphany.

It’s interesting to read about people’s preferences in this thread. My wife and I have tried many different vintages of Valdicava. Just doesn’t do anything for us. Too modern and oaky for our palates.

1 Like

I’m hardly a Sangiovese expert and probably only drink 20 or so bottles per year but my favorites and therefore the ones I own are Poggio di Sotto, Stella di Campalto and Valdicava Madonna del Piano. The 2001 vintage of the latter is my favorite Sangiovese based wine.
I’ve had a lot of exposure to Soldera, but it just has never done it for me.

That was my Fine Wine of the Year for 2018.

It’s an epic “Sangiovese”.

[Technically speaking, “Brunello” is supposed to be a slightly different cultivar, although the purists could probably argue about that question from now until the cows come home. Which I guess is easier than sending some plant material off for DNA analysis.]

Served blind last night in Brescia, I guessed Giacosa 1978.

Revealed, it was the 1988 Le Pergole Torte. I suppose if the guess is Giacosa, it’s a win, either way. Great bottle, extremely elegant, with good>very good freshness, still. My top? No, but excellent nonetheless. A 2004 of this same bottle was a top 10 Sangiovese, no doubt.

+1. Though the 2001 was surprisingly good.

Several bottles in recent years of the 95 Lisini Brunello Ugolaia were epic. The 99 Lisini Brunello normale is also quite good. More recent incarnations of Lisini, however, are in a different style it seems — more modern, less to my liking.

Ditto. Someone generously brought one to the Heritage tasting. I didn’t dump it as quickly as the SQN or the Pavie but I didn’t drink much.

SQN - ugh. Another producer I’ve tried on numerous occasions and never enjoyed. Every time I try it my base emotion is confusion; Why do people like this? Is my palate broken? Could a winemaker really believe this is varietally correct? How is it possible there’s a 10 year waiting list for these wines?

Sorry for the thread drift…

Patrick, I have 2 left from release, let’s drink; back mid May. In Alsace tonight, Dusseldorf tomorrow. a presto

had a 2000 recently that I also thought was very good. I haven’t ever had a younger version though to speak to the oak before it has a chance to incorporate

Monsanto Il Poggio.

I love Sangiovese (I have a cat named Brunello) and I buy a lot of those mentioned already regularly. I would normally say Flaccianello is the epitome of consistent excellence for me, with Rancia probably the next in line. Soldera, as others have said, is in a class by itself but it really doesn’t do it for me.

I attended a vertical of Biondi-Santi Riservas last year, though, and it was a wow moment. My budget doesn’t allow for regular purchases but, damn, they were definitely a step above.

You’re on! Let me know when you’re back and have a corkscrew handy.

I didn’t need to hear this. [swoon.gif]

1 Like

Late to this thread. Most of these have been named previously. The best are:

Fontodi Flaccianello
Montevertine Le Pergole Torte
San Giusto a Rentennano’s Percarlo
Isole e Olena’s Cepparello
Soldera Brunello
Biondi-Santi Brunello Riserva
Cerbaiona Brunello
Poggio di Sotto Brunello.

However, most all of the above have pushed to over $100. A more interesting list, to me, are the Sangiovese wines that are ALMOST as good as all of the above, but can generally be enjoyed for under $60 (half the price of the above wines):

Selvapiana CCR Bucherchiale
Montevertine Montevertine
Lisini Brunello
Livio Sassetti Pertimali Brunello (I’m amazed this wine doesn’t get more love…similar to Lisini & Costanti, but doesn’t get quite the same level of mentions)
Conti Costanti Brunello
Il Poggione Brunello
Felsina’s CCR Rancia & IGT Fontalloro
Monsanto Il Poggio (getting tougher to find anymore, though)

I was torn as to whether to include Il Carbonaione as well, but while I like the wine, I find it to lack the silkiness and elegance of the ones listed above. Just a bit darker and more rustic style. While I didn’t include here, although I definitely like the wine and it’s a great value.

1 Like