Greatest Expressions of Sangiovese?

Fontodi’s Vigna del Sorbo from magnum at 20 years of age is sublime! The '99 easily bested some really heavy hitters on the table a short while back.

Strange that nobody mentioned Percarlo. But I am generally sceptic these days if posts like this are helpful. They may create hypes which are a disadvantage for consumers.

Poggio di Sotto Rosso - snag a bottle give it 1-2 years post purchase and you’ll be well rewarded.

[cheers.gif]

I second Keith’s suggestion of Lisini. I had a bottle of the 2010 a few weeks ago that I bought on release. It was outstanding. You can get it now for about $80. Try it and if you like it, pick up some of the more recent good vintages for less.

Not quite reaching the heights of Cerbaiona, Salvioni or Conti Contini, the 2013 Agostini Pieri is pretty damn good.

Good picks.

Dennis, my go to sub-$100 wines would be

Cepparello
Felsina Rancia
Fontodi Vigna Del Sorbo
Ucceleira Brunello
Pian Dell’Orino Brunello

Under $100 I would say il marroneto Brunello is straight classic. Full of that sweet pipe tobacco, dried mint, and black cherry I love in Sangiovese.

I mentioned it in post #17. Not sure how soliciting independent opinions from knowledgeable enthusiasts can be a disadvantage. If someone is hyping a wine too much, others are free to disagree, and we know that there is no shortage of people here that will do just that…

Thank you, Brian. Outside of Felsina, these aren’t really names I know, so this helps.

Anything on the domestic front? Don’t shoot me…

I am a huge fan of altamura’s sangiovese…

I agree, while there are many very, very good Sangio based wines, for my palate, Soldera stands above all others.

Volpaia Il Puro

2 Likes

To echo a few mentions: Selvapiana can be fantastic and a world class QPR. When Il Poggoine Brunello was $40, it got another vote from me as a great QPR.

the tasting I was at was a vertical of the last 3 vintages, plus the VDP wine to get the newer (typically BdM labelled) fruit out of the cellar. Honestly, the VDP stole the show due to QPR, but the 11 I really enjoyed (I’ve yet to meet an 11 BdM I don’t like at this stage though) and the 13 seemed like it had the stuffings of a great wine. admittedly, I agree with you that they were weightlessly elegant wines, but I don’t think hope is lost for them down the road either!

I should also admit that these were the first and only cerbaionas that I’ve had the opportunity to taste, unfortunately.

It’s a great wine from bottle too. But I personally consider Vigna del Sorbo to be a heavy hitter in the Tuscan world, the 1999 a particularly good vintage. Other than Soldera, I will take Vigna del Sorbo (and other great Chianti) over Brunello every time.

I like very many; but, if I had to narrow to 5 the ones I admire most:

1. Biondi Santi (well aged Riserva & Annata; and their rosato too)
  2. Flaccianello
  3. Soldera
  4. Col d’Orcia Poggio al Vento Riserva
  5. Isole e Olena Cepparello

For me

1. a 20+ year old Biondi Santi (if it’s younger drop it down below Soldera)

2. Soldera

3. Several jockeying for position here
    Montevertine Pergole Torte
    Montevertine Il Sodaccio (at a younger age than PT as it doesn’t have the long aging capability but was magical with a shorter time. Of course they don’t make it any more)
    Flaccianello

4. Just a small, tiny, wee drop down in preference
    Vigna del Sorbo
    Ceperallo
    Percarlo
    Fontodi Vigna Del Sorbo
    Castellare I Sodi

All the above are truly great sangiovese based wines for my palate. Lots of other very, very good wines that didn’t make the list as well of course.

I’m not a Lisini fan, the 2010 in particular was too lush for me. There are a bunch of names above that I’m not familiar with. If I was buying wine these days I’d try them all out.

1 Like

2001 Valdicava Madonna was my first aha moment to the seductive powers of Sangiovese. The next awakening occurred during the release of the 2010 Brunello vintage, almost every one I tried was profound. Stand outs- Livio Sassetti Pertimali & Canalicchio di Sopra. Surprisingly, I was not moved by the 2010 Valdicava.

For a “very” modern take, Garguilo in Napa knocks it out of the park with their super Tuscan blend- Aprile (96% sangiovese 4% cab).

1 Like

It´s actually funny that I post in THIS thread because I´m no way a lover of Italian wines, but I´ve had - and still have in our monthly wine tasting group - my fair share of Italians.
The best ever Italian was Sassicaia 1985 at age 25y, but that´s no Sangiovese.

2nd: Caparzo Brunello La Casa 1985 (a vintage I seem to like),
had it 3 times between 1990 and 2012, always simply delicious and almost Burgundian, not really typically Italian.
flirtysmile