Great Wine Regions You Neglect

Rhone- just never had a wine which makes me want to explore more
Spain- mostly laziness, but also don’t like American oak much
Germany/Austria- I find the classification and labeling of the wines incomprehensible
Champagne- bubbles give me heartburn

Need to rectify the Germany/Austria situation soon. Maybe that will be my summer project.

Oh the self-flagellation! Gosh you all are failing as true berserkers :wink:.

It’s a big big world with so many (a million+?) wines produced. I am most interested (I hesitate to use the word ‘focus’) in/buy regularly from Northern California (Napa Cabs, Sonoma/Mendo Pinots), Bordeaux, Burgundy (rouge and blanc), Champagne, Piedmont and Germany (mostly Riesling from the Mosel and tributaries so far). And I feel I’m barely more than a novice for these!

I nibble on quite a few others regions that I enjoy (Oregon, the rest of Italy, the Loire, the Rhône, etc.). This is already far too much: my credit cards are rebelling, my cellar floor is collapsing from the weight of the cases and my mind is utterly confused. The other regions should be thankful I don’t inflict myself on them.

Went shopping today to focus on regions I have neglected, Slovenia, Greece, Alto Adige, Austria, and Green Spain.

I have to admit, I’m truly embarrassed by my utter lack of knowledge of Riesling, and my meager comprehension of Burgundy. As long as I’m self flagellating, my French pronunciation is shameful. However, I think I’ll survive the humiliation.

Cheers,

Warren

In the words of Hunter S Thompson “As your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed.”

Super easy answer for me is Burgundy. I’ve been relatively serious about wine for 25 years. Our collection size might be 20% below its peak of 2000+, but I would say that of 1700 or so bottles that there are only 30 bottles of Burgundy. I’ve had some excellent Burgundy, mostly from other people. I just don’t elect to make all the effort to learn the ups and downs of vintages or the multitude of wines, find decent sources/prices. But the big thing is that I do not find that my enjoyment has tracked real well with data learned from others or reviewers. It’s a tough prediction. I often less enamored with it than are the others that I drink it with. Beyond that is the large percentage of bottles that I store that end up not fulfilling promise, often even flawed. Too complicated and too much of a minefield.