Great Wine Regions You Neglect

Bordeaux - I only get excited about the old ones, so it’s tough for me to buy current releases, but I should be buying more that are ready to drink.

Burgundy - I buy a little, but too little compared to my other favorite regions. Now I’m looking at pricing on '16s and kicking myself.

Rioja - I buy daily drinkers but very little for aging, which seems like a mistake. As with Bordeaux, and probably even more so, the great wines take so long to reach maturity that I almost think I’ll have missed the boat if I wait much longer.

Bandol - I love the wines yet almost never remember to buy any.

I have historically sampled from most major regions but have settled in on West Coast US and French Champagne and Rhone wines for current purchases. I have a lot of other major regions represented in my cellar but am no longer buying new wines. This is the result of current cellar size, my age and in a few cases just giving up on a region.

I don’t like to admit this is public settings but I’ve completely shunned Italy so far in my wine journey. I’ve got nothing against the place, I just haven’t found the time to really dive into it and give it the attention it needs.

With limits on time and money I am always questioning whether to go with a higher breadth or depth in regard wine regions. Recently is has been depth in a single region rather than expanding to other parts of the globe.

If I thought they were great I wouldn’t neglect them

South America, Europe and Australia are the main areas i neglect

Ah, taking the ‘parenting approach,’ I see! [cheers.gif]
Joke dislaimer!

Burgundy.

I may have three bottles in my “cellar”. And rarely drink it.

I never got the budding start to this exalted region, it was always hard to find down here in Florida, and frankly, didn’t have anyone to teach me the region. None of my local friends drink it, except for Charlie Carnes, and we don’t get enough chances to pop things together.

I don’t understand your post.

That just leaves you with Asia, Africa, North America and Antarctica!

Spain…

I don’t remember the last Spanish wine I’ve drunk I think it was a menciá lol.

I need to fix that. I’ve been drinking too much California recently.

Have scaled down my wine buying/drinking quite a bit now that I am in my twilight years…That being said, will be visiting Oregon and Washington in June and hope to do some tasting in McMinnville and Woodinville

While I neglect plenty of areas, there’s only a few that I think to myself, “Man, I always love these wines… I need to buy and cellar more.”

Bordeaux
Alto Adige
Etna

Unless you dig extracted, higher alcohol, oaked wines…you’re not missing a whole lot there. I’ve come to learn there’s very little value in Washington with the exception of the Gorge area. For my palate at least.

I too ignore South America because there’s so much junk that we get and a lot of the “good stuff” isn’t imported because the locals drink it all!

I’ve also really be digging Croatia and Slovenia.

All new world regions. I didn’t have a single bottle from the New World in my cellar when I joined it with my husband’s. He brought some CA wine to the table, but almost all several decades old. Now, we don’t buy or seek out to drink any new world wines at all, or near enough to be zero.

There are others that we no longer focus on so much, and some in which we dabble at best, but the entire New World is the big area of neglect.

I focus on Bordeaux, Burgundy, Northern Rhône, and Germany. Neglect everything else.

…wait they make wine that isn’t from west coast USA, France, or Italy?

[stirthepothal.gif]

Burgundy as my tastes have changed to a preference for Sonoma (& the price!). Also, Washington state, Spain & the southern hemisphere

My cellar is pretty much made up of wines from Paso Robles, Dry Creek Valley (Sonoma), Washington, and the Rhone Valley. I have just started getting into wines from Lodi (because of driving through it on my way to Sonoma) and wines from Alsace. Besides that I have pretty much ignored it.

I can help! I am overflowing… Just picture a St. Bernard with a bottle or two around his neck. The last few vintages that have been released have some very early appeal so far. Funny, the last three I brought over were really disappointing to me. Well maybe the Ilan was the exception, as I was not expecting anything good at all.

Alsace - Love tasty SGNs, if not the pricing. Sometimes a little warm/ripe for my preference.
Argentina and Chile - So much wine, so ripe, so often not my style.
Australia and NZ - Australia is a residual of the whole RMP Ooze business. NZ pricing is generally not attractive enough.
Austria and Eastern Europe (including Greece) - They just don’t occur to me…and few have wowed me to the point of feeling compelled to track down more.
Bordeaux - There’s an ocean of everyday wine to try but I don’t have a “go to” pipeline to tap in to.
Burgundy - Prices have risen so high and I’ve been pissed off for years…resenting any need to sift through the aftermath for bargains, so I largely ignore it. Love the stuff. There’s a bunch in the cellar which I neglect because they’re “improving”.
California - Oregon fills my needs, but there’s no shortage of great wine countering ripe/oaky stereotypes.
Canada - It’s up and coming
Germany - A couple of go to Rieslings, a Spatburgunder or 2. I don’t like diesel.
Italy - Almost everything outside of Tuscany, Piedmont and Sicily. So much wine…so much of it good…but just so much you can follow, and then neglect so many by default.
Portugal - No good pipeline, plenty of goodies. Fan of decent ruby and tawny port…which can be a challenge.
South Africa - Haven’t had one since a trip to Mauritius several years ago. Almost never see it, not that I look for it.
Southern Rhone and most of Southern France - So many are outside my strike zone
Spain - A recent trip to Barcelona reminded me of how much great wine is made and available there. Much harder to find the wines here that interest me.
Washington - Is it a State or a City?

RT