Grassl Glass reviews/evals [merged]

Alex,
The name of the glass is etched on the base. That is an 1855
Use a dishwasher too. Handwashing for ALL high end stems is not recommended. China setting, keep them away from other objects and you’ll be fine.
Glad you like the glass and glad it did your wine proud!

Chris

Even though I need more glasses like I “need” more wine (aka, not at all), I admit I’m interested, particularly since Chris has provided such great service in past transactions. Am I correct in thinking the 1855s are most comparable to Zalto BDX, size-wise? Don’t think I’ve seen a pic of those two side-by-side, unless I missed it.

Hi Chris,

I put on my reading glasses and now see the 1855 :slight_smile:. Thanks for the tip on the dishwasher.

PS - sorry I couldn’t figure out how to merge it with the main thread, but if the moderators wish to, by all means.

Hi Chris,

I put on my reading glasses and now see the 1855 :slight_smile:. Thanks for the tip on the dishwasher.

PS - sorry I couldn’t figure out how to merge it with the main thread, but if the moderators wish to, by all means.

LOL, welcome! we can’t merge. Admins will. you could have simply added the post inline…but, either way, all good sir!

That is accurate Susan. If you scroll up a few posts you’ll see a photo of three stems and a bottle from Todd C…Left to right that is ZBDX, 1855 and Liberté.

Tonight it is round 2 for me. Liberte and Mineralite.

I have a 2006 Franz Hirtzberger Riesling Singerriedel Smargd (Thanks to Lyle from his Chambers Street days.) up at bat. My Gabriel Glass Gold is the control.

Pop and pour note.

The Mineralite is the best riesling glass I have ever met. The nose is complex and focused compared with the other two. The palate is wonderful. The sample amount of wine is perfect for riesling. This wine is from a ripe year so there is plenty of fruit on the nose despite the dry character here. Very mineral in character on the nose and palate. Some petrol. Super complex on the finish especially from the Mineralite. I don’t totally understand it but this is a special combination.

The GGG shows a wonderful nose that has all the elements. The palate presentation is great. It appears to be dryer for some reason from this glass. I don’t understand it but it probably has to do with the location of the wine as it hits the palate. The Liberte is nice but the wine is the least expressive from this glass.

I am incredibly impressed with the Mineralite and Riesling combination! Dr. Klafter. You need to check this out.

Ok. Despite all of my efforts I am a major convert. I love my Riedel Sommelier glasses, but these do seem markedly better. I had the 1855, and tried it first with a 1992 DeLille Cabernet – which is definitely in the last third or more of its life. That was paired with the Riedel Bordeaux glass. I then did a 2014 NZ Pinot, and switched out the Riedel Bdx for the Riedel Burgundy. Here are the observations.

1. As others have noted, the 1855 is a beautiful delicate glass – much lighter than the Riedel. At first I thought almost too light, but it has grown on my quickly. I never thought of the Riedel as heavy, but now it feels massive to me.

2. I really liked that I could see the color of the wine more easily with the 1855 than the Riedel stems. The Riedel collects things in a more bowl like area, thus concentrating the wine, making it appear darker. The 1855 does the opposite – like a mini decanter that spreads the wine out.

3. The nose is far more pronounced and focused on the 1855 in both cases (more clearly with the 1992 Cabernet than the Pinot, but noticeable with both). My wife is not drinking at the moment, but I asked her to smell both sets. Her first reaction: “Jesus! Is that really the same wine?! The 1855 is much better.” )

4. The taste was also more pronounced and pleasant with the 1855. There was a bit of disjointedness or slight flaws that were more pronounced with the Riedel. So here is the counter hypothesis – perhaps the Riedel is “better” as it is more honestly delivering the wine, which is not perfect. I am not very convinced by this, but provide it here as a counter.

Sigh. I have lots of Riedel glassware – don’t really need any more. So I am very annoyed at this. :slight_smile: But the price is about $10 a glass, right Chris?? :slight_smile:

Seriously, this is a great glass. Beautiful, light, airy, and really delivers nicely. I only wish I had tried the Riesling glass as well – as that is our other growing passion.

Finally, I have pictures, but really have no idea how to post them here, I am afraid. I think I need to use a commercial service, as opposed to cutting and pasting from my computer???

Tried the Cru with a beer tonight since I’m really looking for a GGG replacement for beer.
Waiting to try the mineralte as I thought that would be a good/ comparable one to ggg.

Damnnnnn cru is awesome for beer. (Sour ipa And sour ale).

The base is big. Same size as zalto burg base but the bowl here is smaller. So it “looks” a little clownishly large.
But in the hand the balance is awesome (with a 8-10 oz pout unlike a wine pour).
I normally drink sours out of zalto bdx but the slightly thicker stem here makes it sturdy.
I’m a fan.

Salivating over the other glasses the are offered. At the right price I’m ready to buy.

Tonight we tried an outstanding wine on three glasses 1855, GGG, and Spiegelau Bdx.
Not long ago I’d have been happy with Spiegelau. But now I have to admit I enjoy the lightness of these real hand made glasses. The GGG performed excellently actually, but again the 1855 did better on palate expression. Giving the wine the focus it needs with a more generous palate feel.
The wine was a 2011 MACDONALD. A wine that is simply stunning right now. Tangy blackcurrants, mint, cocoa, spices.
Served with slow cooked lamb ribs and grilled broccoli.
BAE4DAEA-FE3D-4940-9619-92C5F5585D85.jpeg
850E28A4-A016-45F4-AFBA-535329A64133.jpeg

1 Like

Nice peter. how long did you decant the MAC?

Noting a small issue with the Cru.

The part where the stem connects with the base. It feel a bit rough. Like small bits stick out so it’s not a rounded smooth feel. It’s not sharp at all but there are a couple of small bumps.
Not sure if it’s a prototype/sample issue or its suppose to be this way? Chris?

Attached a photo not sure if it’s visible.
A64F7979-39E0-475B-9A9A-820EA1190848.jpeg

Added an arrow to highlight what I mean
B8A127A3-6402-49BD-8B83-C5DA60F149B6.jpeg

1 Like

I did a side by side of the Cru and the 1855 with a couple of CA Pinots – a 2009 RM Silver Eagle Vineyard and a 2015 Brooks Note Marin County PN.

The weight of the glasses is superb – feeling lightly, but also balanced and stable with the wider base. Aesthetically, both glasses were beautiful – the base didn’t detract at all. The Cru did a better job focusing the nose (no surprise) and I thought showed more precision, while the wine from the 1855 was a bit broader on the palate. I preferred drinking out of the Cru because it did a better job with the aromatics. I tested vs. the Riedel (Veritas?) Cab and PN glasses and the Grassl was superior in literally every way. A bit OT, but the Reidel Cabernet glass is comically large. Yuck.

Thanks again Chris.

These look awesome. I’m loving these review and, as someone who didn’t request a sample, I’m ready to buy!

Any one know the price on the 1855, I didn’t see it on the website.

Tom
I’m holding pricing until WB day…there will be a nice discount to retail for WB folks…But, I will tell you retail is exceptionally competitive with the standard competitors. :slight_smile:

Popped it 6 hours prior, drank an oz or so and just let it sit. Worked perfectly.

Mark Ye - good point on the QC, I’ll bring it to the factory’s attention. The base is added after the stem is pulled. So, that’s likely when the glass is added and then snipped off. But, QC is critical and I appreciate the head’s up.