Grassl Glass reviews/evals [merged]

Got the Cru as well. Drinking a 1985 Canon out of it tonight. The glass feels a bit lighter than the Gabriel Glas that I usually use for older Bdx, and I’m liking the wider bowl more. No comment yet on how the wine tastes out of this vs. any other stem, as I pulled the bottle out of a 55 degree fridge and it’s still a bit on the cold side (plus it needs some air), but I’m a fan of these stems and I’ll certainly be a buyer when these are sold. Thanks Chris.

Best picture yet, as you can really see the glasses, but can I ask the order here, left to right? Thanks [cheers.gif]

Zalto Bordeaux, Grassl 1855, Liberté

Thanks Chris.

Appreciate the heads up. Definitely busting chops… truly just grateful for the opportunity. Thanks for letting me know!

Yeah you can tell my old Zalto because of the godawful hard water stains, I don’t keep up with polishing, obviously.

How is the ‘85? I’ve had other ‘85’s that are great. I’m crazy for the ‘82 which is incredible. …and I have several bottles of the ‘83 which are okay but not earth shattering at this point.

edited-info on other thread.

That was outstanding, Brig. You should do more of your wine notes by video. Seriously.

Love it. Not quite as much richness as the 82 - a touch lighter, but probably my favorite Canon after the '82 (and at less than half the price). And it’s showing very well right now - I’ve had a few bottles from a case recently, and all have been in that perfect plateau of maturity.

Ditto. Really helpful. Learned more in this brief video than with 30 minutes of reading.

We took a second pass at this last night, again with the pelaverga.

Our only new observation is that gripping technique is key to getting the right balance in hand.

In order to get a balanced feel with 3-4 oz of liquid in the bowl, you need to grip the Liberte in the center of the funnel where the bowl transitions into the stem whereas with the GGG you need to grip the glass at the base of the funnel.

This leads to a different feel because the thickness of the stem at this balance point is a good bit more for the Liberte. Generally speaking, these glasses still seem to be playing in the same ballpark but this may have something to do with why the GGG comes off as the finer instrument.

Nice review! I’m still waiting on mine. Looks very promising!

Excellent work Brig
I forgot to check the mail yesterday so I’ll check today.

Brig, Awesome video!

Thanks Chris for the opportunity to try one of your new Glassl stems.

The one I received is the CRU. Same elegant feel as the GG only sturdier. The bowl is much wider at the bottom (1/2”+) and slightly narrower at the rim. Aromas are slightly more concentrated than with the GG. The slightly thicker stem and wider base are a plus for me. Would definitely consider purchasing when offered.

1 Like

+1000

I got a Liberté. We are doing side by side comparisons with GGG, using some leftover wines from yesterday’s blind tasting.

1. 2014 Pépière Gorges
  2. 2014 Windgap Sonoma Coast Syrah
  3. 2006 Betz Père de Famille
  4. 2005 López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia

Initial impressions are that the Grassl and the GGG are both high quality. The GGG weighs in at about 83g and the Grassl at about 94g. My wife prefers the narrower diameter of the base of the GGG, but says that it not a big deal. I find them both to be comfortable in my hand. Aromas are similar, with the GGG being a bit more expressive IMO. On the palate I find very little difference between the two stems.
    So far, so good.
    edit
    The Betz is much more expressive in the Grassl; GGG gets the nod on the Rioja.
    I’m very pleased with the Grassl.
  • 1997 Podere le Boncie (Giovanna Morganti) Chianti Classico Le Trame - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (1/12/2019)
    Drinking out of Grassl stem - I believe the 1855. The aromatics are dramtically better than my standard riedel stemware. This is giving me strong consideration on upgrading to this level. It does seem delicate and worry they will break easily when handwashing. This is the last aspect of wine connoisseurship that I haven’t dug deep on and it has definitely enhanced the experience of drinking this wine.

The 97 La Trame has a mature nose, balsamic, touch of pine needles, and prunes that blows off with a lot of air then classic sour cherry on nose followed by palate along with mature orange pekoe tea notes. This has structure and is just a lovely old chianti but would drink up if you have them as it won’t get any better and is likely on the decline. What a treat and am very happy to drink out this fine glassware.

Posted from CellarTracker