Grand Tasting at the Paulee

We definitely smelled bandaid, which I do think is more often a signature of Brett than reduction, but since you tried it from two bottles and we only had a small pour from one, I’ll trust your judgment. Thank you.

2 Likes

Mugneret Gibourg?

2 Likes

I’m much longer on 2019 than 2020 so that’s good.

1 Like

Pierre confirmed it too. He was actually quite annoyed since the other three did show well.

3 Likes

I suppose it depends on the style of Burgundy you prefer, but certainly Mugneret-Gibourg and Hudelot-Noellat.

3 Likes

Yeah, I saw that later in the afternoon, but the Duroche table was my third stop, so I didn’t have that issue.

1 Like

With enough time, I might also include Mongeard-Mugneret. And, I have only had very young examples, but Clerget is making a promising Clos Vougeot.

1 Like

I’ve had this same impression from the handful of AOC and village 20’s I’ve cracked so far. I did not get that impression with 17, 18 or 19.

2 Likes

I got that with the Chevillon wines, but that’s not new. Durocher, Dujac, Hudelot, yes, I would agree (which would explain the greenness I was getting).

I didn’t get that with the Bruno Clair wines. I think it comes down to how the wines are vinified.

1 Like

Agree, the HN was my favorite.

2 Likes

Wait, you’re saying that Dujac, for approximately one zillion dollars per bottle, tastes like a $45 “high end” Beaujolais?

2 Likes

No, no, no, no, no, no. Not even close.

It was referenced above that there was a “fruitiness” about the wines, almost austere, similar to a Beaujolais when it’s young. That was all. Nothing more. Wines were well worth the tariff, they were just knotted up. That’s all.

3 Likes

Do most consider that a negative? I might - or I might just give them enough time in glass or enough swirls to hopefully have that subside?

Cheers

HN was the standout for me with Drouhin close behind. It was great tasting some domaines more new to me like Pillot, B Moreau and C.Morey’s wines all quite good.

It was reductive to the point of gun powder. It was near impossible to analyze the wine. They decanted it, and swirled the crap out of it.

1 Like

“bookmarking” as these are really great notes and impressions, guys. Howard, glad Clerget remains in a top tier for you, at least relative to the other producers at the Paulee. I’ve had a little Germain and Pillot and liked what I’ve tried. Need to hunt down some Moreau-Naudin.

I probably also need to try more of Caroline Morey’s wines. The one white I’ve had (and it might have been the first still wine served in the movie The Menu) I found to be a little heavy on the oak treatment—it was a 2014 so by all means there could be some winemaking evolution that’s happened since. Your notes on her sound great.

And Troy–best vintage for whites since 2014? Very high praise, as I have been mostly thrilled with the 2017 whites as well and dearly love 14s.

Haere Ra,

Mike

1 Like

I certainly did not think Dujac’s wines tasted like Beaujolais.

Don’t know what 2014 you had from Caroline Morey, but I really liked her 2014 CM Caillerets when I had it a few months ago. My notes said “absolutely fabulous white Burg. Rich, long, but young. Needs more time.”

1 Like

Here you go, from my big cellar depressurization event last June:

2014 Caroline Morey Chassagne Champs Gain

Surprisingly tropical for this vintage, plantain, pineapple and sweet vanilla are all present scents. Tighter dans la bouche with more of an apple centre, very light touch of saline. I do find the oak a touch heavy here.

I would say yes; only question is whether it’s better than 14. I don’t think it is in Chablis.

1 Like