Gramercy, Seven Hills and who else??

What other winemakers fit in with these WA producers? Cadence? Kerloo?

Looking for wines that have a good amount of acid, varietal character (don’t mind herbaceous/brambly notes, for example), low oak, modest alcohol (no hard and fast rules here, for obvious reasons). Not anything sweet, terribly “plush”, flabby, or homogeneous

Please share. And don’t mention Quilceda.

Rasa

Made my first trip to Walla Walla last month for some wine tasting. My girlfriend and I really enjoyed Gramercy (highlight of the weekend) and Seven Hills, and I would also add Kerloo and Waters.

You know you are going to end up with a list of every wine made in Washington here :slight_smile:

I’m guessing you are looking for wines that taste like wine rather than bubblegum syrup created for Jay Miller…

Syncline!!!

Rotie, Andrew Will, Cor, Ross Andrew, Domaine Poullion, Hestia, Maison Bleue, Rollat (I guess), Couvillon, agree on Waters and Kerloo. Maybe McCrea?

Grand Reve/Force Majeure, Reynvann

It will be very hard to find many wineries in WA who consistently hold to sub-14% alcohol like Greg and Casey put out.

For example, Cadence has many wines coming in at 14.4%… so I’m not sure if they fit your profile or not. (most WA reds fall somewhere in the 14’s)

Sleight of hand’s Funkadelic syrah comes in at 13.9%, while their Illusionist is 14.5%. So where does that put Trey?

Other wineries in the mix include Fjellene, Syncline… but they are consistently in the 14’s.

If you obsess over the numbers and want alcohol levels under 14% that gives you an incredibly short list. If you make 15% the max that certainly removes Quilceda and others of that nature.

But as Anthony notes, that leaves a lot of wineries in the middle!

Well define your profile. Two wines doesn’t really do that. As Tom notes, Cadence wines are somewhere in the 14% area but note that Ben picks with relatively low brix (24ish usually).

But is it alcohol percentage that you’re worrying about or something else?

Paul at Full Pull recommended Chatter Creek recently. I posted a TN for their 2006 cab recently that was quite nice. Anyone else like them?

Sorry Rick – figured it might be fun to have people read into it, and figured those that quickly saw the resemblance would be “in the know.” Looking for wines that have a good amount of acid, varietal character (don’t mind herbaceous/brambly notes, for example), low oak, modest alcohol (no hard and fast rules here, for obvious reasons). Not anything sweet, terribly “plush”, flabby, or homogeneous.

I put Rasa and Reynvaan in the same category as Cayuse, not in any list aiming at restrained wines.
McCrea I recall to be in the riper category.

Grand Reve is consistently in a riper, oakier style than wines made by the makers under their own label.
Rollat uses lots of oak also. Long Shadows fits here too.

Along with Maison Bleue, Seven Hills, and Waters, you can try Dunham, Dusted Valley, maybe Efeste.

For darn good wine, perhaps not the most subtle I love Abeja, Baer, Woodward Canyon.

Peter Hickner

I figured, but when you started getting Grand Reve (NOT that profile), I thought I’d ask.

Everyone in 2010 and 2011…unless they chaptalized. pileon

A second on Domaine Poullion. Some interesting wines there.

If you want BDX blends, I’d go for Andrew Will, Cadence, or Soos Creek. Soos Creek is much cheaper than the other two but built along the same lines.

I’d definitely give Rasa’s 20008 QED a spin. Tons of acid in that one. Many of their wines might be too full-bodied for you, but I was blown away by the 2008 QED. (I love their other wines too, but agreed that they don’t fit the profile you want.)

I would stay away from Dunham, Efeste, and Abeja if you’re looking for acid-driven wines.

Michael

My favorite WA producers are:

Kerloo
Rotie
Gramercy
Sleight of Hand
Reynvaan
Maison Bleue
Waters
Buty

I’m going with this list of favs, since you mentioned Gramercy and Kerloo, but didn’t put any descriptors of how you were looking for other wineries to fit in.

Agree with other comments, without defining a style you are going to get a laundry list of others favorite wines. Which is perhaps what is wanted.

My current favorite syrah producers in WA are:
Gramercy
Cayuse
Rasa
Reynvaan
Rotie
Maison Bleue

But there are very different styles among these- Gramercy, Rotie, MB tend to be more restrained (particularly the recent Rotie I had), the others can be more full throttle, but not OTT IMO.

For BDX type blends I am liking:
Waters
Gramercy
Betz
and a few others

Of those Waters and Gramercy are the more restrained and seem to use less oak (other than the 21 grams oak shake)

Ok, based upon input above (and eliminating wineries if conflicting opinions arose), the restrained WA wineries making wines according to my description include:

Gramercy, Seven Hills, Cadence, Waters, Rotie, Andrew Will, Cor, Ross Andrew, Domaine Poullion, Hestia, Maison Bleue, Rollat, Couvillon, Kerloo, Betz, Soos Creek.

Others?

I wish you hadn’t revealed the theme. I was waiting everyone else out to add Blackwood Canyon to the mystery list. We all need a current release Semillion from 1989.

Woodward Canyon, Three Rivers, Snoqualmie, Hedges, Alexandria Nicole, Bunnell.

Going off your interest - good amount of acid, varietal character, low oak, and modest alcohol, my list in no particular order would be:

Cadence (BDX), Seven Hills (BDX), Waters (Syrah, Cab), Gramercy (Syrah, Cab), Rotie (Rhone), Maison Bleue (Rhone), and Syncline (Rhone)

There are others. But for each of these wineries, this is the truly heart and soul of what they are trying to achieve. This is their mission. And equally importantly, the wines are of extremely high quality in all cases.