Got any obscure stuff?

Huber Dornfelder

Ha! No I don’t, but I did drink some recently.

I can do one better, 2000 Schiava, that’s supposed to age very well! And a younger version as well.

I’ve got a pair of 99 Lagreins, then a mixed bag through 2007.

Some of mine may be in the smaller quantitites because they are already consumed for the most part or everyday drinkers that wine lovers don’t bother to record.

Starting at the “rarest”
2007 Maison Alex Gambal Bourgogne Blanc Cuvee Prestige 2/2 100% (another 3 consumed)
I have one of two bottles on CT of 2007 Tegernseerhof Riesling Loibenberg
2007 Maison Alex Gambal Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St Jean 2/10
2007 Maison Alex Gambal Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes 1/6
1999 Casa Carneros Pinot Noir Los Carneros 1/6
2000 Casa Carneros Pinot Noir Los Carneros 1/16
2006 Lioco Chardonnay Late Harvest Heintz Vineyard 1/6
2001 Muller-Catoir Haardter Burgergarten Riesling Spatlese Trocken #27 1/7
1998 Kurt Darting Forster Schnepfenflug Huxelrebe BA 1/9
2001 Gilles-Jourdan Cote de Nuits Villages Robignotte 2/17
2008 Digioia-Royer Chambolle-Musigny 2/22
2004 Lar de Paula Rioja Anada 1/13
2009 Babcock Pinot Noir Deja Vu Rabbit Ridge Vineyard 1/16
1999 Domaine Michel Noellat Vosne-Romanee 1/18 (another 17 consumed)
2007 Maison Alex Gambal Clos Vougeot 1/18 (another 6 consumed)
2009 Babcock Pinot Noir Ocean’s Ghost 1/19

I second the 1973 CA Cabs. '73 is my birth year also, and I opened a Chateau Montelena on my 35th. It was surprisingly fresh and vibrant. Delicious stuff.

Hi chaps,

Thanks for the heads up. I haven’t had many 70s CA Cabs, but those few that have made it over the pond and into my greasy mitts seemed to me to be more sedate and refined than those of the currently extant idiom. I’ve been taken by their lower alcohol levels and ripe (not over-ripe), restrained fruit characters. A bottle of 1970 Mondavi Reserve (I seem to recall it was the Reserve, but with advancing years my memory cannot always be relied upon) I had a couple of years ago was delightfully elegant. Is this a fair assessment or just a product of my limited tasting exposure?

The only problem I have with scoring some is that they are beyond vanishingly rare here in Blighty. If someone could recommend a shop that would be willing to post a bottle of a good, but not frighteningly pricey, example by airmail I’d be terribly grateful.

Thanks again for pointing me in this direction.

Cheers,
David.

Nobody has the 1978 Taltarni Shiraz in Cellartracker, but it’s the oldest wine currently in my cellar. How’s that for obscure?

Gerstacker Weinkellerie Nurnberger Markt Gluhwein
Castello della Paneretta Canaiolo

Hmm. Interesting variant is to see entries on CT for bottles that don’t exist.

I own an 04 German Auction TBA, so that might have limited hits. And a 1900 Banyuls too.

This really is to easy

1961 Scarpa Barolo Riserva 1/2
1964 Marceau Latricières-Chambertin 1/1
1964 Scarpa Barbaresco 2/2
1964 Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Bottled Cask G24 1/2
1967 Barale Barolo 2/2
1967 Giuseppe Rinaldi Barolo 1/2
1970 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Monprivato 5/5
1971 Giulio Mascarello Barolo Cavaliere dello Tartufo 1977 Cannubi 2/2
1975 Gemello Cabernet Sauvignon 1/1
1975 Mario Perelli-Minetti Winery Cabernet Sauvignon 1/1
1977 giumarra vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 1/1
1977 Mirassou Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Home 1/1
1977 Montevina Zinfandel Special Selection 1/1

Do tell!

Kagor NV from Moldova. A cabernet-based desert wine. I think it’s this one in Cellartracker: N.V. Kagor Cabernet Sauvignon Dionis Club (Moldova)

Oh. I almost forgot. Paul Masson Pinot Chardonnay NV. 2/0. My sister’s wedding wine. I saved a bottle from the 1970s. She refuses to open it.

Oh, this is easy. Fetzer 1974 regular cab. I have 2 bottles not listed in CT. The rest of the world has 1 bottle.

I used to own it but I drank it a long time ago.

And, David - 09 Bertheau hasn’t been offered here yet I don’t think.

Re: Claude’s comment - I suspect he means because people misidentify the wine when creating inventory - I find erroneously listed wines all the time (just ask Eric, I bug the bejeesus out of him).

No, I’m referring to some entries for wines from vineyards and owners before that owner acquired the vineyard; wines that were never issued in the recorded vintage because of hail, freeze, poor quality, etc.; and some very famous wines that originally were produced in tiny quantities many, many years ago and so likely there are not any existing genuine bottles but nevertheless there are sales offers on the internet for them all the time (often in large formats). Fakes, in other words.

If you’re referring to Vincent’s comment, I assumed he meant that he owned a bottle, but does not have his wines in CT, but no one in CT has this wine.

But I could be wrong.

I’ll almost guarantee no one will beat this one:
That’s right. Venezuelan wine, made at the Universidad Centroccidental Lisandro Alvarado. In 1990.

OK, if we are playing dirty how about this:

A Romanian wine given to me by someone of limited ability to tell good from bad. I have actually had another wine from this producer and, based on that experience, I am saving this bottle to give as a present to someone I utterly detest and I want them to be aware of that.

Cheers,
David.

Not that these are all that obscure, but for some reason I find that I have a1983 Pat Paulsen Cab, signed by Pat Paulsen, and a 1987 Quilceda Creek.