Goodness I love 1000 ml botlles

Got out last night to our local place that features (start howling now) natural wines. I had seen some interesting bottles from Czech Republic last time in and somme had this Bel Milan Nestarec ready to go. Completely savory, mildly bitter on finish, excellent with fish and sweetbreads. Pairing for the fare indeed. Five at table, granddaughter is 11 and one adult not drinking. So ~ 333 ml each for the rest of us was just about perfect.

Gruner Veltliner, Welschriesling, and Muller-Thurgau FTW. $62 usd in the restaurant with recent uptick in exchange rate.

4 Likes

Stanko Radikon believed that 500ml was the right-sized portion per drinker and thus only bottled 500 and 1000ml bottles towards the end of his life. His son has kept that up with the Radikon bottlings, but bottles the “S” in the usual 750ml.

Just assumed from the title Doc got a 1L of Caymus Cab.

Cool but 333 might get me through for hors d’oeuvres :wink:

3 Likes

Yes I was thinking of the quite accredited to Winston Churchill… “a magnum is the most perfect size for two gentlemen, especially if only one of them is drinking”.

1 Like

Yes, indeed.

I like 1L bottles just fine, but bemoan the dearth of 375ml and 500ml bottles. Oddly, I find fewer whites in these sizes, and whites are what I want.

Def +1 on 500 ml. Very handy in many situations - lunch for two, dinner for one, or two with aperitif etc etc. How often with a 750 ml between two does part of it get put in the fridge. (Of course there are serious wines we do want to try again the next day. )