Goodfellow Spring Release

Marcus, any additional thoughts on the Oracle bottling that wasn’t in the release email?

Definitely different. The Berserker Cuvee was raised in a 2 year old 500L puncheon. It’s a really good representation of the power and balance of Temperance Hill.

The vineyard designate is primarily from an older 820L puncheon, that really shows why the bigger barrels are so great for Chardonnay. The 820s do such a good job of providing the benefits of barrel ferments(without implying that stainless is inferior) but staying out of the way of the vineyard. The detail in the Temperance Hill bottling is defnitely up,in my opinion, from the Berserker Cuvee.

3 Likes

Hi Josh,

Sorry if I confused anyone, but the Oracle in the release is the only bottling.

We looked at either a Heritage designate(as there isn’t one from Durant in 2019) and also at releasing this bottling in the fall with the Block bottlings(it’s definitely of that quality), but ultimately chose to release it now as part of this group.

We dabbled(?) with a planting of Willamette Valley Syrah from 2008-2016. I loved it to be honest, but when the vineyard was sold in 2016 I stepped away from the fruit. It’s a really fun wine.

The Gris is skin contact, but picked very early. 11.6%, and a very copper colored wine that is most closely aligned with Rose. 20% whole cluster and on skins for 44 days though. Elevage was Acacia and an old neutral oak barrel. We stirred lees a bit to drop color down, and the extended elevage helped to add a bit of silkiness and texture and shifted the color more into copper hues.

Lots of great wines, and Chardonnays are just outstanding.

This is my problem too. I talked myself down from ordering two cases, and ordered one. But have decided to drop another annual purchase and replace it with Goodfellow. I have a good deal of the other, and the prices on Goodfellow are less. I don’t know enough to say whether I am also stepping up or down in quality, but even if down these are still great wines in my experience. I really like what Marcus and Megan have been doing. The one I am dropping is California, so it is also nice to move to something a bit closer, though still a state away!

So I am rationalizing this that in the long run I will save money by dropping the other producer (ahem, assuming I have the strength to do that when the time comes…)

I’m in for three cases of Chardonnay, and will probably end up getting more.

1 Like

My feelings exactly… :slight_smile: I’m running out of room which is limiting my purchases more than anything… Vincent Fritzsche just dropped some wine on Tuesday and I have a giant pyramid building on the floor of my cellar. Soon I’ll have to hire some of those pushers that work on the Toyko subway to shove all of the wine in there so I can close the door.

Thanks. Great to hear you put it on par with the Block & Heritage bottlings. Having met David at your winery makes me want to try these even more.

Although, I didn’t word my question well. I was curious if there was any nerdy/Berserker level insight or info on this new vineyard or bottling that you didn’t include in the email.

Thank you for posting that link. So much interesting information, and I’m even more excited about my recent order now.

Good thing I checked Berserkers as I totally missed the e-mail! Interested in it all but the Richard’s Cuvee Chard has been mind-blowing to me so will be sure to have some of that in the order.

I chose the Syrah based on its age, and the Whistling Ridge bottlings based on the fact that there was a quality to it when we tasted them all at the winery that just stood out from the others for my wife and I. But honestly you really can’t go wrong. but now that I’m reading Marcus’ comments about Oracle im wondering if I need to go back and add something…

Are Last Acre and Long Acre from Whistling Ridge different releases?

Yes. Though I thought it was Long Acre and Beloved Acre.

I see beloved acre too. But this release has a late release “2017 Last Acre”. Got confused because I just ordered some Long Acre. I sense more money about to escape from my beloved checking account.

Ah. Hadn’t noticed the late release. Probably another block bottling.

I got to taste the Lewman Pinot Gris just prior to bottling and it’s unique, but delicious! It was fermented as a red wine and has a savory nose of amaro spices. On the palate fresh fruit flavors, bone dry, savory with good acidity and finishes with a hint of cantaloupe. I know the Pinot Noirs and the Chardonnays get most of the attention, but this is a delicious bottle of wine made in the Goodfellow style. I would encourage you to try a bottle and decide for yourself what you think.:thinking:

From Whistling Ridge, Marcus bottles Last Acre, Long Acre, Beloved Acre, and House Block. He’s modeling after Burgundy, after all. :wink:

1 Like

I always have trouble deciding whether to follow a go broad or go deep strategy. As usual, muddled through with something in the middle.

Lots of wines to entice.

-Al

I tend to go for 3 or 4 bottles of whatever I’m buying, and then lean on willpower and follow tastings online and wait as long as possible to open the first bottle.

In general, I think 3 or 4 is a good minimum number depending on how long you want to follow the wines. When I first started buying Marcus’ wines, I drank some of them young to get an idea of the house style and the vineyards.

-Al

1 Like