Glass enclosed wine wall/cellar

But south of Oregon I assume.

1. Make sure there is no air leakage, easier said than done with frameless glass.

2. Make sure the cooling system does not blow on glass, a ducted system is ideal.

3. Keep the adjacent space below 50% RH at all times, this may require supplemental or dedicated dehumidification equipment.

… (removing post, as I don’t want it indexed on Google) …

Pro tip: wine cellars are dark

Looks really nice Ivan.

Thanks, Rich. Will do. We have a cellar here in Scottsdale, but just bought a new home in Flagstaff so thinking about what to do up there.

Bill - a couple of questions if i may.

What did the installation cost?
How is the cellar cooled?
Did you insulate the “cabinet” or is it just dry wall on frame/stud?

Clayton

Ivan - what sort of glass did you use? Did you have insulation in the cellar walls or is it drywall on frame/stud?

Rich - could you post a photo of your cellar? How it it cooled? Echoing my other questions, did you insulate the walls, or just go with drywall on frame/stud?

Hey Clayton,

We’re still under construction so the wine wall probably won’t be completed for another month or two, but I’ll definitely post pictures when it’s done.

We used closed cell foam insulation (ended up doing it for the entire house) and a commercial cooling unit (we were already buying 2 large units for the house so it made the most sense and it should be the most efficient…not to mention the easiest to repair if we have any issues).

Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions and I can try to answer them for ya.

Are people using some form of “safety” glass for these structures? Like automobile windshield glass?

Because if you use “normal” glass, and, say, a child, or a dog, were to break through it, then you’re gonna have a helluva bloody mess on your hands.

I’m sure it’s tempered glass.

Yes, I used tempered glass. I kept imagining a ball/toy/foot going through it. So for, it has proven pretty tough.

Yeah, any installer who is sourcing glass like this is almost certainly getting tempered glass because that’s what the fabrication shops will use for anything with a hinge or a handle on it .

Lord, I misread that because it was posted right after the young women in the transparent raincoat. neener

1/2 inch glass. R-13 insulation. Make sure to put the vapor barrier in the right place e.g.in my case it was between the foundation and the framing (if it’s new framing, otherwise wrap around the framing), then insulation, drywall, etc.

Hi all,

First of all, I am not trying to hijack this thread but i am similar questions and i thought it will be better to post them here:)
We are planning on adding a glass cellar in the basement and while i made a lot of research I thought I would post this here to get feedbacks …

A little background info on us. We like wine and enjoy drinking a good bottle once in a while but I would say we are not connoisseurs…
we are not trying to build a huge cellar or perfect cellar to age wine for 10-20 years. We just want to have a better place to store our bottles and age it decently for a couple of years top.

The cellar will be in the half basement. The temperature is 60-65 in the winter with humidity close to 0. In the summer, temperatures range from 70-80 with humidity between 47-53 (we have a ducted dehumidifier running).

What I am envisioning is a glass cellar on 3 side. Floor to ceilling. About 36in wide and 23 depth. I am planning on using the vertical racks that stores bottle horizontal (front facing).
https://www.wineracks.com/catalog/vintageview-c-34_58/3-foot-tall-27-bottle-vintageview-rack-p-573.htm?zenid=uttlfhu67eh4c8k7rm5b1n1ap6
So we should be able to store 90 bottles…

The floor will be raised by 1.5 in and foam insulated then tiled. The Ceiling will be lowered by 3in and foam insulated as well.
The sides will be either 1/2 tempered semi-frameless glass or 3/4 double pane glazing units…
The door will be 1/2 tempered frameless glass (like shower door) with a lock

Lighting system will be LED strips
Cooling system will be Koolr magnum. seemed powerful enough for the volume and the power and condensate drain will be in the cellar. Should I expect a lot of condensate?

I don’t expect condensation on the windows since we will probably keep the cellar at 60-65 degrees and based on the dew point curve and the humidity we should be good (at least that’s my expectations…)

Thoughts? Concerns? Am I crazy?

Thank you!
Matt

I’m not in the league of most folks here, but wanting to age wine for even just a few years can rapidly fill less that 100 slots. Think of aging two years and having current wine to drink. You’re looking at 30 bottles ready to go, 30 with a year left and 30 with 2 years left. Gives you about a bottle every 10 days to drink. I know it doesn’t all rotate at once, but one way to look at it.

Looks all great.

But the UV?