Give up salt or give up wine?

Due to hereditary hypertension that spikes with even moderate salt use, I’m used to minimally salted food. I’d give up added salt instead of wine (since I really avoid salty food to begin with).

What about just changing doctors Mark?

Along this line of thinking, I would also prefer to give up exercise.

Can I give up Mark instead?

As someone who also loves beer, bourbon and lately, tequila, I would sacrifice wine sadly. Plus, I assume I’ll get to consume my already purchased bottles which would last me a little while.

Bastard.

[cheers.gif]

Can I keep bacon, caviar, and pork rinds?

Giving up added salt along with pre-packaged products that contain salt as an ingredient (rarely eat any of those), then salt would be the easy choice. But if I also had to give up foods like fresh seafood which contain naturally occurring quantities of sodium, then I would have to give up wine.

You WISH you could quit him.

If it were salt PERIOD, I’d give up wine. While one can eliminate added salt with home cooking, thereis salt in basically everything prepared by someone else. So one would basically not be able to go out to eat. One also could not buy a vast number of grocery store items.

I have cut my sodium consumption to below 50% of what it was. That wasn’t super difficult as I stopped eating all the fast food, most prepared package meals, and add very little at home as well as using a low-sodium substitute when I do. I could get down a little farther but the latter percentage cuts get much harder, especially i for one wants to dine out here and there.

Isn’t salt an essential nutrient, or at least the iodine that most of us ONLY get from salt? I suppose the point of the question is intended to be about the hierarchy of pleasures, however, and not about human nutritional need… But it is important to know whether the question is about ADDED salt, as otherwise you’d have to give up all processed food and probably all restaurant foods as well, and even then it may not be possible due to natural sodium content of at least most (if not ALL) nuts, vegetables, beans, etc.

NEVER WILL GIVE UP GARLIC !!

Worthy of three… [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Give up wine. There are many other beverage options that I could live with. Without salt, the world is bland and uninteresting place. Wine with cardboard tasting food sounds like a the devil’s take on corked irony.

Neither. Nobody gets out alive. Live well while you can.

I don’t understand the “i don’t cook with salt” thing that I hear from many people, including my parents.
It’s the most important ingredient in all cooking.
Unless it is some dire medical reason…

Every time I see a thread like this one I am reminded of the saying in Spain that North Americans want to die healthy.

“I’m here for a good time, not a long time”

I don’t drink hard liquor or beer, but I’d probably give up wine if I could keep ciders.

If that’s not an option, I’d give up added salt.

But not naturally occurring salt, as found in things like seafood, soy sauce, Chinese food, BBQ, etc.

Impractical. Nothing from the ocean. No risen dough. No soy sauce. No restaurant food. No Take Out. Virtually no cheese. No pork. Nothing from a can. No cold cuts. No pizza. No fast food. No Mexican food. No Chinese food. No Chablis. neener

I definitely would give up wine. Could still have gin and whiskey. And, of course, there is sake.