Gilman is crazy about Rhys "Hillside" wines

I got the release email, too. In reading the critics’ reviews, the word graphite or gunpowder appeared more than once. This tasting note intrigues me, as I have found this occasionally in syrahs I drink, but can’t recall being in pinot noir.

I take it back these are barrel select offerings?

Have to agree. As much as I love me some Rhys, I will leave these to deeper pockets.

Yeah these are pretty steep, intriguing tasting notes or no. At $100 I may have at least thought about it, but $150 priced me out.

These certainly sound like they will be amazing. Decisions, decisions…made even more difficult by Kevin’s very devilish decision to include some mags.

If you got the release email, does that mean you will have an allocation? I’ve only been buying for 3 years now. So curious. Thanks

Too rich for my blood!!

Steve,
Most of the people receiving the email will be offered 2 or 3 bottles of each wine but a smaller percentage will be asked if they would like to wishlist wine without a concrete allocation. Since we have no experience with this offer, it was difficult to allocate and this was the best system we could come up with. After this offering we should have enough information to do a better job next time.

Andrew,
Yes, these are barrels from select parcels in the two vineyards.
We have more information here - http://rhysvineyards.com/rhys-vineyards-2013-alpine-and-horseshoe-hillside-pinot-noirs

I think I am priced out of these bottles.

Not that I want to pay high prices, but for a region where the average good bottle of Pinot runs $40-60 - to pay 2-3 times that for what could arguably be the best wines from arguably one of the best regional Pinot producers does not seem too outrageous

Was the Cirq too rich for your blood ??

Go for it. Sounds like “what the market will bear” pricing.

I’m not saying I can or will buy but the fact is the days of $50 ‘reserve’ (eg not appellation) Rhys are long gone

No doubt about it, these are aggressively priced. We are now knocking on the door of D’Angerville Ducster backfilling prices, and I know how good those are! I wish the 750ml was a good $30-$40 cheaper.

At $149 this is the second highest priced Pinot out of California that I am aware of. Marcassin is $150.
That said the reviews make it irresistable to me.

Yeah, if I want to buy a wine, I am also good at dreaming up some kind of twisted logic to justify the purchase.

Yeah I guess if I had more disposable income I might buy it too

This whole board is a million pages of rationalizing gratuitous purchases of thousands of dollars of grape juice.

(And yes, if offered, I’ll buy the “Hillside” wines.)

Great call Ryan. Right on point! [cheers.gif]