Fu in da Hood: Gangsta Rhone Night in O-Town w/FL Man Berserkers [Verset, Juge, Levet, Gonon VV, Jaboulet, et al]

That’s not blue steel, that’s ‘I have to poop now because I ordered chicken wings at 1 am’

frenchie - i thought he dressed up.

Asian is not a nationality, Mr. Alfert.

[wow.gif] I would suffer a lot of Cuban machismo for that lineup.

Going to need an advance copy of the next menu. Asking for a friend.

Since you are not good with ethnicities I will give you my 23nMe.

I guess that would be a continentality?

See the diffference is, Kenny, when Fu comes to town he reaches out so that we can plan a dinner. You, on the otherhand, surreptitiously enter the state, nary a word to your Cuban brother, and I find out cause you posted a running workout on our Strava site, showing you nearby. I was hurt.

Just cycled 41 miles and then walked the dogs with the wife for 3 miles. Sweating out the poison. You would love the cycling weather today: Sunny and high-60s/low-70s.

That because, as a man of leisure, he expects to be taken care of when he graces your area with a visit.

Tsk, tsk. Details are for my associates, I’m the concept guy. Can’t let things get in the way of the narrative, my friends. At least I didn’t blame Fu’s country of birth on the Florida citrus canker. Carnes will have to explain that one again . . . .

Your wife threw out everything?

Does that mean you guys finisheddddd all of those bottles?

Super fun night! Thanks to Robert for hosting, and Fu for making the journey! First time hanging with Charlie. He is super fun and super knowing (except for his Cote-Roti gaffe-I’ll let him 'splain that one, Ha!). Kurt and Ivan are great too, wish they would take the plunge and do a little Berserking!

I’ll try to get to all of the wines later, but I want to say that I was disappointed in the two main wines I brought. I just looked and found that I bought the Arnoux in 2010 from Crush. Didn’t cross my mind at the time if it was reconditioned, but it most surely was. I certainly question these things more today. The wine was beautiful, limpid red, with pretty light orange on the edges. Robert’s note is about right, I will just say the gaminess to me came of as a little bretty/funky. Charlie wondered for a second if the wine had some Syrah, and I would say that it did have some similatities with some of the Northern Rhones that we were drinking. Decent and interesting, but like Robert stated, not profound. I was disappointed, because I wanted Robert and Marc to taste a fully resolved Burg. and that didn’t happen here. The bottle was still finished.

I have had plenty of older La Chapelle, and they are generally pretty good. I am not sure this was the best representation, as I have been floored by this wine before. Still the wine was good. Dark, heavy mineral/soil presence, some telltale black olive, and savory spices. Felt like something was holding the fruit at bay, and it couldn’t break free, as it was just a little stiff, and dried out.

One more before I go. The Verset was totally cool. Literally, the red fruit was cool and bright. We all agreed to some sort of feralness to the wine. I thought it was perfect. Medium clear red fruit, light bodied with dove blood, and trampled grass, hay, tart and juicy, nearing succulent, with a hint of olive and spice. A tremendous, beguiling wine!

My head is saying yes. Freakin’ Robert woke up early, typed this up, and busted out 46 milke on the bicycle.

He’s an animal! Couldn’t get the wings delivered. Then we go to the hotel bar for a Scotch, and missed last call be 10 minutes. I bet his 2:00 AM room service bill is huge!

That’s an excellent description of Verset at its best – and why I love it so dearly.

He’s not allowed to go out very often, so when he does, he makes it worthwhile

(plus advantage of PST-EST - only 11 pm for him!)

Does he have a day job?

Maybe you had too much of the dove blood? neener [cheers.gif]

No kidding, only a hunter could write that great note!

That Robert guy is an animal. He also just saved a duck that was stuck in a street drain; it was crying so much, sounded like an injured cat. Corey Booker has nothing on this guy.

This. I would have never guessed Alfert was a Verset virgin.

Thanks to you all for the write-ups. Sounds like a great night.

Not sure you had a perfect 2009 Juge. The description doesn’t sound quite right.

Yea, surprises me too. Verset retired around the time Florida’s shipping laws opened up more, give or take a couple years here or there. And you would never find a Verset here. Too bad, killer stuff, would have loved to have stock-piled it. Now the prices are a bit brutal, $500+.