FS: 2017 & 2018 Arnoux-Lachaux

I don’t see anything wrong with these comments–and in fact I myself would like to see fewer restrictions about commenting on CC, not those already in place extended to still more nebulous horizons. After all, we are a community, not the floor of a commodity exchange or an auction house. Why not crowd sourced wisdom here as well, for better or worse?

That said, I myself sometimes sell and purchase on CC and I obey the rules, since that’s the condition of participating. I’ve often thought that I’d like them loosened, for the reasons just stated.

1 Like

because the seller is always trying to maximize their sell price and there’s no such thing as crowd sourcing from those that aren’t participating in the transaction - that’s wine talk.

But this is not actually true–just phantasmatic economic theory. When I sell I don’t try to maximize, but rather to get what I paid plus some
accumulated value for time/storage–and I like the idea that someone I imagine will appreciate the wine and enjoy it is purchasing it. Sure, when some bottle I have shoots up in price, I aim to capture those profits as well–but not maximize.

It’s fine of course if a seller prefers to go that route, but nothing wrong with pointing out that it’s happening.

an odd take, but we can easily test it: next time someone offers a wine for sale here on CC, with a listed price, offer them more and see if they take it.

please report back.

I think this is a little different because the OP didn’t list a price at all. I sort of understand why; arnoux-lachaux is very difficult to price because there’s very little on the market worldwide. I tried to price mine below wsp lows but I think it’s hard to set a value for something that’s sold very infrequently.

This proves what? Few people will walk away from free money, though among friends it’s not uncommon. But that’s different from price maximation as the sole and wholly controlling condition.

So, you minimize your maximizing?

Nicely said!

Thanks all for the thoughtful conversation. edited for 1 bottle down.

I am very much against allowing kvetching on price. Before the no comment rules were enacted, there were some pretty nasty exchanges, and the new ones made it much calmer.

One person’s “kvetch,” is another person’s “comment,” no? We will always have both “kibbitzers and criers,” as Stanley Elkin once put it–who probably one of the best American authors of the second half of the 20th-century of whom nearly no one has heard.

emphatically no.

it’s an excuse to say what you want and wrap it in “it’s just a comment” as if there’s a distinction that matters.

this comes up often on commerce corner where folks feel the need to interject their ideals without any intent on purchasing. again, that’s what wine talk is for.

1 Like

My impression is that you are one of the less gouge-y sellers on CC, Yaacov,
Despite your own talk about maximization. And, as I say, I don’t make any comments about sales, as it currently stands since that’s the policy. But I don’t get your above remark as all. Isn’t to “say what you want” to make “a comment”? Now, you might not like my comment and think that I am “interject(ing)” my ideals; but it’s still a comment.

i don’t believe gouging is even remotely possible in wine. so, i can’t comment on my personal success on maximizing my sales.

the point is as follows:

commerce corner is a place to buy and sell wine. there are only ever two parties that are relevant to that at any given time. a comment or a kvetch or whatever is noise. kvetching about comments or vice-versa is even more noise. if we all like commerce corner, we should do everything possible let it flourish.

wine talk is for talking about all things wine, especially prices. the idea that a community member should / might seek price feedback or not gouge (?) is perhaps an interesting topic…for wine talk.

(yes, i acknowledge that each additional response here is ironic)

The truth however is that comments in a thread keeps the thread on top of the pile, which is good for the OP to gain better exposure on his offer. So more comments makes CC flourish, regardless of whether they are discussing price or whatever.

ahhh the infamous commerce corner paradox. well done.