Frozen dinners

‘Rely on’ and once a quarter are vastly different things, Victor. All frozen, prepared meals are super high in sodium - that’s no secret.

I typically over-make my dinners so we have some frozen, for later. ALWAYS with my pasta sauce, and typically with all soups. Recently had a big batch of carnitas that had some extra, and I’ve got my eye on that in the freezer! [wow.gif]

No one is espousing converting their entire diet to Trader Joes or other prepared and frozen foods. This is not an all or nothing proposition. Is it really necessary to take every conversation to one extreme or another?

I am just relaying a fact. My friend, who lives alone and rarely cooks, came to rely heavily on TJ meals. I would not do so. He has followed the advice of his doctor to cut back.

There is a brand of frozen food called Devour. Extremely, insanely good (for frozen food). Just do not, under any circumstances, look at the nutrition label. The fat and sodium are off the chart. Just reading the label could cause a heart attack. The preparation says to microwave for 3 minutes, peel back the membrane, stir and call 911.

Funny!

The dessert line, after Devour, is Defibrillate.

Trader Joe’s gets pretty good reviews for most if its Indian style frozen dinners. Of course it helps if you’re OK with vegetarian meals. I will also buy their 4 cheese frozen pizza and add lots of toppings on my own. Pretty decent when the wife is elsewhere and I’m in the mood. TJs sell a frozen back if Japanese fried rice blend that I add green onions, mushrooms, spinach/baby bok choy + a protein (chicken/shrimp too). It’s pretty tasty if I do say so myself.

You can say that again!

:angry:

cooked tamales heat up fast in a wet towel in the microwave or instapot. half an avocado and some hot sauce, dinner is served.

A long gone, friend and grocery store owner once said this about Campbell’s soup, “Have you seen the sodium in those soups? They’ve killed more people than smallpox”. Huge sodium in so many processed foods.

As for frozen foods, Stouffer’s is probably the best widely available.

JD

I agree; I buy them for work meals (12 hr shifts with only a half hour for “dining”). Real food ingredients (nothing effed up), reasonable variety and quite acceptable in the flavor department. And very inexpensive for what you get.

your local indian store should have pouches too. Love them for meals on the go.

this

Schwan’s?!?!? Maybe the quality has improved from some years ago when a driver dropped off some free samples, which were pretty terrible.

I eat Amy’s frozen meals several times a week at work (no other options), and find them plenty palatable (the broccoli mac n cheese is my favorite)