From the man that recommended MacDonald, Sandlands, Beta...Phelan Farm!

Hi Steve, thanks for the mention. I hope to see you and Misuk this weekend at RAW!

1 Like

The expectation to hear back from a micro producer within a number of hours is unrealistic. Try to or three weeks before getting concerned. Winemakers are usually busy this time of year.

2 Likes

Thought it would be an auto response that my email was added to their list. Would think that would be pretty standard considering thatā€™s how most wineries are but perhaps Iā€™m wrong, who knows. Still havenā€™t received any response fwiw

1 Like

They make such great Pinots!

1 Like

Circling back to this as I have had several more of the Phelan Farm wines and I continue to really love them. I need another subscription wine service like a hole in the head yet I like these wines so much I just signed up for Rajā€™s curated wine club.

2 Likes

Lost me at ā€œcuratedā€. Along with ā€œbespokeā€ and ā€œacquireā€, words that turn my stomach.

5 Likes

So itā€™s been 3 months with no response or confirmation. Should I be concerned? Perhaps Iā€™ll just take some money elsewhere when the time comes

I reached out to Raj with a question on the Chardonnay Rose 5 minutes after ordering it in a restaurant and responded within 2 minutes.

My card was charged at the end of the day I signed up for the club.

Not doubting your issue just noted I have not had them.

2 Likes

Understood. Guess Iā€™ll just have to email them (again)

I am guilty of overusing the word curate. It does have a purpose and I value various experts that help me to learn and discover - music is the best example.

I looked up this thread and thought I would pass it along. Just got an offer yesterday from Morrell in NYC about discounted Phelan and other Raj wines, in the range of 10%-15%. I ordered a 6 pack to see what the fuss is about. If you live in NY State there is free shipping. Any recent feedback on these wines?

I just wondered after the passionate endorsement of Rajsā€™ project if Phelan still ignites the same fire among the Berserkers, or is the price comparison with the Jura still unfavorableā€¦

Other opinions would certainly be great. I would add that I have now had several more bottles since my original post and I really like the wines. They are great examples of natural wines that work for me. Lively, energetic, clean, great food wines and just a joy to drink.

1 Like

I really enjoy the Bottle Baby co-ferments.

2 Likes

I attended a natural wine event last Sunday and Raj was there pouring Phelan Farms. I didnā€™t take any serious notes and there was a lot of wine to be tasted, but the wines were really delicious, definitely a standout among all the other producers. I do have to say, though, that at the price point there are dozens and dozens of Jura Chardonnays/Savagnins and Trousseaus is more interesting and frankly betterā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for your impressions. Nice to see that others like them.

1 Like

Andy, I came away with the same impression. Back in January Raj was pouring Phelan Farms at Sager + Wilde here in London. It was great to finally meet Raj in person, as Iā€™m a huge fan. He was gracious and my group really enjoyed talking to him.

I thought the wines were delicious, but not profound. I had a really hard time with the price (if you thought they were expensive in the US wait till you see what happens when you tack on 20% VAT). For example the sparkling Mondeuse/ apple wine was I believe Ā£45-50. Itā€™s a lovely, quaffable wine, but in my head it competes against pet nats at half or less than half the price. The other wines were Ā£40-60.

Lovely wines and a fantastic story. I appreciate that farming and producing wine is labor intensive and expensivr. So itā€™s really hard for me to say it but I think Iā€™ll stay on the sidelines. Just canā€™t support them at the current prices.

1 Like

Drinking the 2021 Pinot Noir tonight and it is excellent. I will concede that it is a bit pricey at $70+ retail. I reminds me of a Puffeney Pinot noir with a bit more weight and complexity. Great minerality, spice and lots of dark fruit flavors. The wine is wonderfully light and ethereal. It is extremely unique and simply put enjoyable. I have enjoyed everything I have had from Phelan Farms and am very happy I signed up for the wine club, the first new Cali mailing list I have added since Beta / Jasud. I do have another exciting new producer to mention soonā€¦so stay tuned!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been impressed by his wines from Cucamonga. Abeā€™s iterations with LA River Wine Co are very Abe-y: some absolutely outstanding wines, some VA in a few, some highly reductive cuvees, just generally a wild ride with what is clearly excellent material coming from the vineyard. Raj so far has a more deft hand for my taste with the same fruit and of the 4-5 Iā€™ve tried, all have been at least very good and some excellent. Everything very clean with no reductive funk. Easily worth the prices for me.

1 Like

I agree with everything you wrote. And just to clarify I donā€™t have a problem with the prices but I have heard a number of people say that the wines are more expensive than the European wines that inspired them. Its a new project and its California so unfortunately you canā€™t make a wine at the same prices as you can in the Jura or Beaujolais. I think the wines are worth the price based on both the quality and uniqueness.

1 Like

I finally stopped by Stolo (in Cambria and only a few miles from the coast) yesterday. Stolo is now part of the Parr empire and an outlet for Phelan, Brij, and Scythian as well. Aside from Brij, Assyrtiko we only tried Stolo library wines which they are selling at very low prices. The 2016 vintage wines were great (Chard, PN, and Syrah), 2015 OK, but not as good as 2016. The 2022 dry GewĆ¼rtz is really really good as well.
Decided to become a member and bought a mixture of Phelan, Scythian, and Stolo. Looking forward to tasting them in the near future.

1 Like