From the man that recommended MacDonald, Sandlands, Beta...Phelan Farm!

A little difficult when I live 6000 miles away from Burgundy. Bourgogne rouge around these parts is in the $30-40 range or more. If I could get it for $15, I’d be a very happy camper. I can get CA Pinot in the $30-40 range that more than scratches the itch for me, mostly from the Santa Cruz Mountains AVA.

Larry, I think there is a lot of interest in SBC wines right now. Didn’t it win wine region of the year last year? I know a ton of “cool” wineries taking more and more fruit from there, Bedrock being one, but also some big Napa and Sonoma hitters. Like Robert, I see them on wine lists, too. And I was even listening to one of the Swedish wine podcasts the other day and they had a long spiel about SBC Chardonnay and how good it was…

I am myself taking more from the region this year, and will probably be doing so even more so next year (if I can get into the vineyard I want). Love the wines from the SBC - it’s a true cold climate region of SoCal.

As for pricing, the US is expensive. It’s always been a gripe of mine that wines are so pricy here, but I also understand it from a winery perspective. I see both sides. I’m on my 5th vintage already, and still have a day job to help support the family. Very few other businesses would tolerate such a huge part of it being based on enthusiasm and semi-charity (fruit prices shot up about 20% this year, but I can’t increase prices 20% on my wines to cover).

2 Likes

Right, didn’t say it was in SBC… mentioned Sandhi and Cote there referring to SBC.

Also, does Rajj have a winemaking style? All of those other brands that he is part of are made by Sashi Moorman. Arguably the style here is similar to that of Sashi, but am pretty confident that anyone who would even consider these wines is very familiar with both of them. Again, can’t imagine any casual observer picks up a $70 SLO Mondeuse blend off the shelf and thinks “yeah I’ll try that!” Unless they are already familiar with his story… and find the local Savoie selection to be lacking??

2 Likes

Exactly. They’re trying to get the crazy 3 tier price from their own cellar door. And they get it, so why would they change? Just not from me.

2 Likes

Thats the point. These producers are charging the same amount (or more) from their cellar door that a crazy, convoluted, mafia ridden, 3 tier system charges to get wine half way around the world. Buying wine locally from a producer should always be way cheaper than comparable product from half way around the world. Unless they just think their stuff is worth more because they are Americans!

2 Likes

Hi @Larry_Stein - please let me know where you are buying Cavarodes in the U.S. for less than Phelan Farms (you referenced $59)? Would happily by Cavarodes at that price if I could find it. Recent Winebid prices were in the $80-90 range. Cheers! Steve

Robert - I learned early on that any Winery or Restaurant list recommended by Robert Dentice/@soilpimp was worth jumping on. Happy member of MacDonald, Beta, Sandlands and Scholium wine lists as a result. I have to say that I beat you to Phelan Farms though. Love the wines and have tried/purchased most of them. Had the privilege of attending the release party back in late August and handed out a few of the wines during visits in Alsace/Savoie France in September, where they were well received.

Cheers!

Steve

1 Like

Problem is that no distributor or importer would take you on if you undercut their pricing with DTC - they’d treat you like a pharia. We have no choice but to match the price if we want to have distribution.

If I could sell all my wine DTC, that would be great. But I can’t. Plus, I also want it to reach a wider audience and get to places where I can’t ever go to sell it or get a relationship with buyers. Distribution and importers are the only vehicle that allows that.

Steve - That is so cool. I am so glad you confirmed my initial impressions. Thanks for posting as its good to have someone else comment who has tasted the wines. Any particular favorites from the lineup?

That’s fair. So I guess at the end of the day the 3-tier system bites us all, coming and going. :pensive:

Additionally, the cost of materials and labor has gone up which everyone already knows. As an example, I have a long-time, very close friend who has a .5 acre (.2 hectare) hobby vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mountains. 100% Pinot Noir. Just for those costs mentioned, he’d have to charge $30 just to break even for the 2020 vintage. It was $24 for the 2017 vintage. His wine isn’t bonded so he can’t sell it. We voluntarily pay him for what his cost is. Sure, he and the rest of us would love it if his cost was only $13-15/bottle!

I haven’t shopped for Cavarodes since the 2015 vintage. I didn’t realize that prices had increased that much. I guess it’s become cult now. I was one of the first 5 customers when Selection Massale was selling to retail customers so I got 2008-10 from them and 2012-15 from other sources. I don’t think I paid more than $40/bottle for the later vintages and much less for 2008-10.

2 Likes

Still, California fly-over country.

@Larry_Stein - thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately yes, the Cavarodes has made a big leap in price, at least on the secondary market. Glad you were able to get in early - no such luck for me, as it just came on my radar in the past year. :wine_glass:

Most of the wines have been tasting pours to date, at Raw Wine LA last April and the release party in August. The majority of my bottles are pending shipment and should receive them soon. At the tastings, I enjoyed the Jura/Savoie varieties most: Trousseau, Poulsard and Mondeuse. Looking forward to additional ‘Savoie’ bottlings this year, including Jacquere and Altesse. From bottle, have enjoyed the blends, Leon:Trousseau, Poulsard, Pink Chardonnay, Savagnin, Chardonnay, and Pinot Noir and Autrement: Pinot Noir (50%), Gamay (25%) and Mondeuse (25%). The wines are still young, but seem to have excellent potential. There are also two sparkling wine/fruit blends, (Bottle Baby bottlings), which were quite fun and come in at $28.

Phelan Farms will be at Raw Wine Los Angeles again this weekend (Sun/Mon), for those attending that event. I presume Raj will be pouring, but I don’t know that for sure. Those attending can also sample the Los Angeles River Wine Co (Abe Schoener with Raj - old vine bottlings from SoCal vineyards #CucamongaRevolution), and Darren Delmore’s ‘Delmore’ label. It looks like Hardy Wallace was also a late add to the event, with his EDWCoYeah wines.

Also saw IG posts regarding a Phelan Farms wine dinner in ATL, so may be opportunities for folks back East to taste the wines over time.

Cheers

I have some of that from my early days on the Selection Massale list. I had not realized it went up in value.

1 Like

Dan,

Great points - and yes, you did mention the other ones that are from SBC. Over the years, I do believe Raj has become more a part of the winemaking process, and he and Sashi work hand in hand.

My guess is that if this was done in Napa or Sonoma by a ‘famed’ winemaker, more attention would be given to it.

Cheers

1 Like

Larry - I appreciate you love your home region and want it to get more attention. Phelan Farm is a new producer that is selling $50-70 wines from geeky grapes and so far it is a huge success. It has placement in many top restaurants and wine shops that cater to wine geeks (e.g. Chambers). In the NY market it is sold out. Just because it has not gotten much mention here yet is not a slight on your region which I love. I am sure it will get more attention here and despite a recent commercial launch you already have two people on this thread who have tried it and are talking it up. Lets talk more about other producers in your area!

1 Like

Plenty of other producers to discuss - where do you want to start?

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hit me!

I am also overdue for a visit.

2 Likes