Friday night pasta TNs: Two from Brovia

The clams and garlic are being sauteed on the stove, the garlic bread is ready to put under the broiler, and I am getting thirsty ;^)

I am surprised with how well the '01 is drinking on opening, as I was kind of expecting the '06 to blow it away. But I will need to do more “research” here once the food is on the table before rendering a final verdict.

• 2001 Fratelli Brovia Barolo Garblèt Sué - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (8/25/2023)
    I paired this tonight with it's sibling from 2006, which I assumed would do this wine no favors, but to be honest, on opening, I'm not sure I could pick a favorite. The red fruit peeks through on the nose a little more with this vintage, and there is still good acidity on the palate. I have been so-so on this wine in the past, but tonight it is drinking quite nicely.
  • 2006 Fratelli Brovia Barolo Garblèt Sué - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (8/25/2023)
    Black & red fruit on the nose, ripe and expansive on the palate. I honestly didn't expect a 2006 Barolo to be this open - off this glass, I would have guessed a hotter vintage like 2007. That said, no complaints drinking this, and happy to have more in the cellar.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

thanks for the note. only 10 more years to go until i can open my brovia, i guess :grinning:

1 Like

Nice to hear of the good showing. I’ve noticed these are often fickle but when good, are very good.

With some time in the glass and the food, the 2006 did finally establish it’s superiority over the 2001 - I had no problem drinking either, but the 2001 doesn’t possess the structure and fruit that the '06 showed once it had had a chance to blossom with additional air. At 15+ years of age, the 2006 is fine to drink now, and I believe it will be fine to drink in 2035 as well. The 2001 at this point is probably fully mature - and by that I’m not necessarily implying imminent decline here, but I also don’t see any further upside either.

1 Like