Friday afternoon Sausage & Pepper TNs: Two 2015 Chianti

Sorry, no pizza today - my resident chef is cooking up some sausage & peppers (and don’t forget the onions). I hadn’t recalled drinking anything from the 2015 vintage in Chianti recently, so I grabbed these two bottles to check them out. The Monsanto is slightly more what I look for in a Chianti, but both wines are drinking well today - an aid to helping me forget about the stock market today ;^(

• 2015 Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (9/23/2022)
    An interesting comparison with the '15 Felsina CCR I just opened. Not as compelling on the nose, but this is lighter-bodied and more acidic on the palate. And while I appreciate a good nose as much as most folks, in the final analysis I do want to drink the wine, and today this Monsanto is hitting the bullseye on the palate for Chianti typicity. I will be curious to see which wine my better half prefers today.
  • 2015 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (9/23/2022)
    No complaints here - nice mix of red & black fruit on the nose, with a faint whiff of smoked meat for additional interest/complexity.

Expansive on the palate, with ripe red fruit. Maybe just a slight deficiency in acidity for my tastes, but otherwise drinking very well. I bought a case of this on release, and given that most of it is now gone, I clearly should have purchased two.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Thanks Bob! Trying to decide whether I hold my Monsanto 16s for scientific purposes or just drink away…

2 Likes

Thanks, Bob. Guess it’s time to crack open my (one and only) 6-pack. :grinning:
Most vintages, it’s hard to find a better value.

Monsanto CCR is just an utterly classic Chianti. And the wines age just beautifully. I appreciate your comment about the acidity. I still am working through 2006s - which are holding nicely and I would expect to drink my remaining bottles by 2025.