French Game Dinner, Wine by Beringer.

Last Thursday dinner, the 15th November 2012, was back in Impressions (3rd Floor, Maxims Tower, Resorts World Complex, Pasig, Metro Manila), through Executive Chef Cyrille Soenen’s kind invitation. The menu was a special “Gibier Wine Dinner” featuring in season game and mushrooms flown in from France for the event (“gibier” is French for “game”).

Cyrille Soenen at Impressions’ helm.

All the pairing wines were by Beringer Vineyards courtesy of Happy Living Wines through the charming and industrious Kathy Yao Santos. The evening’s special guests included Beringer’s Brand Ambassador, Nicole Carter, and US Ambassador, H.E. Harry K. Thomas, Jr.

Cyrille hands-on at the kitchen, preparing the 1st course.

The Menu & Pairing Wines.

I noted the presence of several friends and fellow winos there, among whom were Alex “El Demonio” Tiu with two of his brothers, Cyrene de la Rosa, IWFS stalwarts Bill Stone, Fil Juntereal, and Freddie Pio de Roda, and, from the Wines & Spirits Club of the Philippines, Wil Lee, Gino Garcia, and Elizabeth Tan.

Foie-based Amuse Bouche.

The salad course was a luxurious Smoke-Cured Filet Mignon of Wild Boar, Roasted Brittany Lobster, Celeriac Remoulade & Mâche (a.k.a., “Lamb’s Lettuce”) Salad

…paired with 2010 Beringer Chardonnay Private Reserve - quite nice with the dish, it is a polished and quietly stylish Napa chardonnay, a shade over medium-bodied with soft, slightly tropical chardonnay flavors, nice discreet butter notes, moderate toastiness, minerality and vanilla/oak, with a hint of nutmeg to the back and in the finish. Pretty good, actually; not loud or bombastic or obtrusively oak-laden - I made a note to order some for Catha who favors Napa chards.

The soup course followed: Gibiers Bisque with Crispy Chestnut Ravioli which had some intriguing, deeply caramelized bits of game in it - hare?

The fowl course was, hands down, my favorite dish of the night: Pithiviers of Pigeon & Duck Foie Gras with Chanterelles, Morels & Truffle Sauce. Absolute heaven in its moist, tender, earthy, subtle gaminess. This was paired with two reds, namely, 2006 Beringer Napa Valley Merlot & 2009 Beringer Napa Valley Pinot Noir.

It did not escape me that the wines poured in proper stemware. Noted and appreciated.

The 2006 Beringer Napa Merlot seemed proper, correct and typical enough in a rather straightforward Cali merlot fashion, but what, to me, constituted the pairing of the night was the 2006 Beringer Napa Pinot Noir. Roast pigeon is a typical and especially favored dish in the Côte d’Or, typically and traditionally paired with its pinot noir based reds. Poured in a proper Burgundy glass, paired with a traditional Burgundian dish, it had me at “Bon Appétit”.

As to the subject pinot noir itself, California pinot noirs are generally/markedly richer, more concentrated and extracted, warmly riper, heftier, and more alcoholic than Burgundy reds, with a telltale candied character to the cherry, raspberry dominant flavors, with distinctive cola notes. This one’s ripely sweet, lightly spiced red fruit served as a nice complement to the robust, earthy pigeon with foie - my favorite dish and pairing of the night by far.

Wild Berries Marinated in Spice with Cocoa Nibs

I usually take no note of palate cleansing sherbets, but this one was particularly noteworthy. Not only did it cleanse the palate, priming it for the following cabernet sauvignon, it also was an event in itself for me as I’m a sucker for cherries and/or raspberries with chocolate.

The meat course was Civet of Hare and Marinated Venison with Shallot & Apple Confit & Cèpes Ravioli, paired with 2007 Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve - a manly dish and pairing wine - robust, earthy, deeply and complexly flavored, no shortcuts here - the apples providing a refreshing sweetish note of contrast. Lovely venison.

I’ve had the subject wine once before from Alex, during a long, wine-filled steak lunch with Alex & Jim at Mamou Too! back on the 9th April 2012. My notes from then are still applicable, thus:

The > 2007 Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve > was, as I recall, only the second or third 2007 vintage Napa Cab I’v had. Seems to me that vintage 2007 was a very impressive one for Napa. Alex had it decanted for aeration probably half an hour and then poured us some to breathe in glass. This is a very well-balanced, full-bodied Napa cab, presenting concentrated, not over-ripe or over-extracted crème de cassis, blackberry, bit of black cherry, slight dusty cocoa, touch of licorice, bit of violets. Nice mouthfeel, the tannins are smooth and molten. Focus and structure are good. Not surprisingly, this is something good and reliable for the cellar.

Beringer’s Nicole Carter with yours truly (photo by Cyrene de la Rosa).

Firandises (file photo from 2 days earlier)

Cyrille & crew w/ Nicole Carter & US Ambassador, H.E. Harry K. Thomas, Jr.

The dessert course and pairing wine were a delightful, yet light on the palate and belly St. Honoré Cherry, Verbena Crème Légere, Griottes Kirsch Coulis paired with 2008 Beringer “Nightingale” - Beringer’s take on Sauternes composed of botrytis-touched sémillon and sauvignon blanc. Not bad at all, light on its feet, more like a Barsac.

Excellent event! Congratulations and many thanks to all!

Cheers from Cyrene, Vernon, Kathy & Alex! Until the next!

Great dinner! If I ever get out to the Philippines, I hope I get to have dinner with you!

Anytime, Greg. Just say when.

Best,

N

Is this the event you were two days early for? Looks like a fun night.

Noel, I don’t know if you looked at Ken V’s recent thread on the Cappellano Barolo tasting we did recently in NYC, but as I was going through his write-up and photography, I couldn’t help thinking that my two favorite posters when it comes to reviews on wine dinners are you and he - the commentary is always good, but the addition of the stellar food photography is what consistently makes your (and his) posts so enjoyable. That Fowl has me salivating on my keyboard right now [cheers.gif] .

+1.
Thanks again for the very inviting report,Noel!
I 2nd GregT,that if ever I find myself near to Manila,I’m coming over… [cheers.gif] …and bringing Champagne!

Hi, CJ, yes, it is. Much fun indeed.

Many thanks, Bob. It is always warming and encouraging to know people enjoy my posts.

I will be here and waiting, Bill. Just say when.

Best to all,

N

Nice moustache Noel. You’re looking hip.

Believe it or not, I show my wife some of your dinner posts to help entice her to take a trip to the Phil… Especially since we cannot get foie here in California any longer. She has a bit of a fear of going on vacation and eating Balut and Dinuguan on a nightly basis.

Heh heh thanks, John. After sporting it for 3-4 years I’m getting tired of it and have been considering going back to being clean-shaven.

Assure your better half that the wining/dining scene here has changed drastically the past 20 years. She’ll have lots to keep her happy now.

Best,

N

Always a great read!

Thanks for your notes and effort, just the salad course has my mouth watering.

My pleasure, Scott! Yes, that salad was delicious indeed. Best, N

Count me as a Beringer Private Reserve fan. And if I had to guess, your favorite pairing of the night would have been mine too, it looks outstanding. Chanterelles and fowl get me every time, but I’ve not had the pleasure of a luxurious dish such as yours. Well done!!

Beringer doesn’t get any love here but I would agree with you the Private Reserve wines are quite delicious.

get in line–behind me!
alan

Come on over, Bill, Alan & Greg! I promise we will dine well!

Best,

N