France - 2024!

Well, after 32 years of swinging a tool over the summers and missing out on a thing or two here or there, retirement means finally getting to travel across the pond! Headed with the family to France and spending a few weeks there. Starting in Paris, heading to Reims, some time in Hermitage, and maybe a quick trip to CdP.
Would be grateful for any dining recs, places to possibly taste / experience, and please - advice in general.

Many many thanks -

Michael

My trip to the Rhone valley was a few years ago but very enjoyable.
You can get into most place in CdP via email. Went to many and recommend
Pegau, Vieille Julienne (had wine with Jean Paul Daymen at the Vinous tasting yesterday and he remembered up). Clos St Jean, Beacastel (group visit), Preferf/Colombis (both at same place so ask to do both).
Highly recommend Barroche with the owner. So many choices. Hard to go wrong.

Northern RhĂ´ne was great too. Stuck to CĂ´te Rotie and Hermitage. Guigal was closed but had La Chapelle tasting the their restaurant. Chapoutier dies a tour and tasting at their shop. Delas was a great visit. More commercial but they opened their Bessards when I asked. The climb up the hill to see the chapel was memorable.

In CĂ´te Rotie spent time at Jamet and Rostaing.

Dinner +/- a night at Maison Pic in Valance is worth going out of the way. Its location is nothing special but the 3 Michelin starts are fully worth it. The room to our elevator went right to the restaurant. Memorable.

Have a great trip. Planning Bordeaux in the fall.

Congratulations on retirement, Michael.

Folks here will have more current Paris recommendations. I’ll simply share that we always go to le bonsaint pourcain in 5e and everyone always loves it. We also stay at hotel le saint marc in 2e and I always find the rooms clean and big for Paris and relatively well priced and central.

For cdp…I always recommend st remy de provence because its so central to everything in the area. Hotel de tourrel is the best place in town but it’s small so reserve now if youre keen on it.

And…l’oustalet for dinner outside at sunset in gigondas. I’m a broken record because the place is one of my favorite restaurants in the world.

@Peter Thank you so much. Will look to dine at Maison Pic, thanks for the rec!! Looking into the suggestions for places to taste.

Cheers!!

Michael

@Jean-Pierre - thank you! Been a great run with more wins than losses but I will miss working in the Public Safety arena.

Will be sure to check out le bonsaint pourcain and l’oustalet. Thanks for the recs!!

My best,

Michael

1 Like

L’Oustalet is definitely a do not miss.

There is another restaurant in the Vercors west of Grenoble that is even better, Le Palégrie.

Michael,

Enjoy your inaugural trip to France! My advice- don’t try to do too much. Spend enough time each place that you can relax and enjoy your time. Secondly, learn at least a few basic phrases/vocabulary in French. Making even a minimal effort makes a huge difference in how you are treated.

As far as Paris dining recommendations, https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/eating-and-drinking-in-paris is a great resource.

That thread is full of great information and excellent advice from lots of people with a ton of experience.