Foolproof peel-able hard boiled eggs

I like my eggs very dead, but I will try 15 minutes next time as a test.

This is essentially the method I use, though I just cover them with water. Almost never have a problem peeling.

From my great aunt, and gripping among friends that buy eggs at Costco. Due to the modern efficiencies in supply chains, eggs are sometimes purchased “too fresh” for boiling and peeling. People like me raised down on the farm remember the special spot in the fridge for aging eggs for deviling. My opinion is all these methods will benefit from waiting a number of days before boiling them.

1 Like

sAkzEusQLBw

Poking the hole in the egg keeps it from cracking when you drop them in boiling water

A hole is a crack.

It matters where you poke the hole.
If not where the air space is, much of the albumen will leak into the boiling water.

Fat side where the air bubble is. I’ve never had a leak

You’re a holepot, Victor. :slight_smile:

Bring water to boil. Drop eggs. Simmer 11 minutes lid on. Great yolk and peels super easy. Even my 2 yr old can peel it with ease

The steam method vs dropping into boiling water helps avoid the problem of dropping the temp of the water when cold eggs hit it. That and the ice bath seem to make for the easy peeling. When doing 2 or 4 eggs I just put in boiling water… and doesn’t stop the boil (for 170 eggs steaming does make more sense) I also submerge my eggs in hot tap water (usually in the 110 degree range) while the pot comes to a boil. Takes some of the fridge chill off the eggs… they seem less likely to crack when they hit the water.

It’s a matter of taste; for eat right now eggs I will do 9 or 10 min to get a bit of jamminess in the yolks. For leave in the fridge and eat later… 12 min.

+1 Steam for six minutes in instapot, then to cold water. Perfectly peelable HB eggs.

can you post the video of her peeling an egg? flirtysmile

+1

Here you go, 54 seconds in all her glory- the first time I found out she could peel an egg. Normally we peel it for her but we were waiting for lunch, I was in the restroom, she was fussy and my mom handed her an egg not knowing madeline couldn’t peel an egg.

sGDnX06C4OU

loved that video

Slave labor.

I liked the one of her sabering a magnum of champagne.

But can she do that 170 times?!?!?! I thought so.

I’ve tried nearly all the approaches discussed in this thread and I also agree that the steaming in 1 inch of water approach is easiest and most consistent in terms of peeling ease. We only steam for 10 minutes to get a nice, bright yolk that is still tender. If you haven’t tried the steaming approach and insist your boiling method works great, you’re missing out. Seriously.