Food pairing question...

Butternut squash ravioli with sage butter sauce. The ravioli is cheese ravioli, with a butternut squash puree, and sage brown butter.

I’m thinking the more obvious stuff like Chardonnay, but I’d like something a bit off the wall that would work. Any tips? I’ve seen random stuff on Google, like Grenache, (red) Rhones, etc, plus the more obvious Volnay or lighter whites, but it’s so all over the place, I’d rather go here, with people I trust (for some reason)…

A flavorful Italian white would likely have better acidity for that dish than chardonnay.

A good malvasia would work. PM Roberto or stop by his shop. Santa Monica is in the South of California, isn’t it?

I’d probably go compliment for this as opposed to contrast.

How 'bout a nice fat Cali Viognier? Just have to watch the alcohol content.

Actually any Rhone whites might be interesting, like a white CdR perhaps…

My thought as well. I’d go low acid with Viognier, Roussane, Marsanne. On a tangent, you’re a fan of Palmina, Todd…how about their Arneis?

I’m also thinking that the squash will be on the sweet side so you could also go the way of Gewurztraminer to play on that sweetness and the spice of the sage.

Wow George, you’re pretty good at this.

[ok.gif]

Gracias Marco.

Stop calling me George. Reminds me too much of this guy:

If it makes you feel any better, Jorge, most of us think of this George when we call you that.

Image fail.

George Michael? Gee thanks Mel. [rolleyes.gif]

George Clooney woulda been better.

ouch. that’s gonna leave a mark…

[blackeye.gif]

This is basically what I said to him last night about this. It’s the one place I’ve ever though of a Cali Rhone white fitting.

Another consideration:
Trocken style Riesling either German or Aussie or Gewurtztraminer.

Todd don’t listen to these suckers. In my world there is one correct pairing for anything that has sage brown butter - traditional nebbiolo. We do a lot of squash raviolis with fried sage and browned butter or similar (pumpkin gnocchi w/ sage & brown butter is another great one). Get some really good, well aged, sweet parmesan to put on top and go with a traditional barolo/barbaresco with enough age on it to soften the tannin. The sweet parmesan, butter and sage are glorious with the sweet fruit / tar flavors of the nebbiolo. We’ve done meals like this with Cascina Francia, Aldo Conterno (couple of bottlings), Giacosa, F Rinaldi and more. You just don’t want to get into the riper / oakier style where the darker fruit and chocolate flavors will clash instead of compliment.

I like what Josh is saying here. I am a sucker for butternut squash and we use them fairly often. Soups, raviolis, lasagna …

If this is a main course and larger serving, I would definitely go with 2 wines (or more) so you can experiment. Say a Barbaresco and an interesting white showing more fruit. I have found that although a number of whites match perfect, by the time the middle or end of the meal hits, I am fatigued with it. I think it is the sweetness of the squash.

We usually do pinot and whatever white we have. Usually a chard or white rhone but sometimes something dry from Alsace.

Please let us know what you try.

Jason

The dinner never happened, but I love the idea of Barolo/Barbaresco! That does indeed sound like a great pairing!

Unfortunately for me, I don’t have any Barolo with age on it…yet

Another white that could rock this would be a richer style of Soave.

aged Savenierres

My suggestion would be a Northern Italian white. This dish comes from Northern italy, I believe Lombardy, but I would shy away from something like Franciacorta for this. I tend to agree with Roberto, perhaps a Richer style of Soave would work really well for this, or perhaps a Pinot Bianco with a touch (just a touch) of oak from the Alto Adige. The Soave, with the herbal qualities that Garganega tends to have, might compliment the dish nicely. Or even, and I know a lot are against this, but a Chardonnay–not American, though. Stick to a Chard from Northern Italy.

That’s my $.02