Flannery Hanger steak carne asada

We had hanger steaks (ordered Monday, delivered today, LOVE the service!) and made carne asada - absolutely spectacular. I think this might be the only way I make hanger again, even though I love it simply grilled - this is just next level. I cook it to medium, chop it, save all the juice (including heating up the rest of the marinade) and mix with the meat. Insane.

Pretty standard carne asada marinade, but thought I’d share if anyone wants to try it. Also happy to read others’ recipes if you do the same with hangers.

Marinade:
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup lime juice freshly squeezed
¼ cup grapeseed oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
1 - 1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons achiote powder (or chili powder)
2 teaspoons onion powder/onion salt (I use the one from Trader Joe’s)

Wish I bought more during the sale back in March, but I know for next time to stock the hell up.

2 Likes

This is conceptually very similar to Landreth’s marinade, just with a Mexican flavoring. Citrus, salt, garlic, oil, heat. His is Asian in style with lime juice, oil, Sriracha (garlic, heat, seasoning), and soy sauce (salt).

Does the orange juice add enough sugar that burning is a concern? Or, it could be a benefit perhaps with a lower heat cook then a sear at the end to caramelize the sugar?

I had no burning issues vs. standard hanger grilling (with melting fat flare ups) - perhaps because of the oil in the marinade as well? Wasn’t much OJ in the overall marinade either

I’ll have to try this one, sounds spot on.

Sounds wonderful—will try for sure

Love Flannery hangers. How many for the marinade?

How long did you marinate for? We did some Hangars last week marinated in a Chimchurri sauce which was also good. You just cant screw these things up! They are so good.

2 Likes

Had this yesterday, added homemade Chipotle seasoning to spice it up. [winner.gif]

I marinated for about 8 hours, seemed about right.

Sorry I missed these questions!

Marinade - I did 5 hours or so - there’s plenty of oil in the marinade so obviously it can soak a while. I’m sure 8 hours is fine, yeah.

I did a combo of chicken and hangers, as my wife won’t eat steak of any sort, total of about 3.5lb of meat, so in this case you could do probably two pairs of hangers, two packages. I know this - it went fast (as I only did one package, two hangers, for 3 of us who were eating it, plus the chicken) so next time I’m gonna double it!

As for the spicy seasoning, yeah, wish I could do that, but my daughter and wife ‘don’t like spicy’ so I have to add it later!~

Have to say saving the marinade and adding the sliced meat, then simmering for about 10 minutes was spot on.

Yup, checked back on this thread to get (my own) recipe, as I’m making it again tonight - saving the marinade and cooking it to get rid of ‘raw germs’ is so key, particularly after chopping the meat up, so every piece has the flavor…

2 Likes

guess what I’m making tomorrow, thanks to BerserkerDay 15???

1 Like

BUMP. Going to make this tomorrow evening, and going street taco style (small corn tortillas, minced raw onion, cilantro, sliced radish, squeeze of lime, salsa of choice…maybe some cotija).

Toasted my spices in a dry skillet and salted the steaks a couple of hours before just now hitting them with the marinade. I plan to grill over charcoal. I can’t wait to try this.

Snap, toasting your spices, that’s fantastic and I will try that next time