Flannery Dry Aged Hanger Steaks?

A dream come true! Never thought it would happen but… it has. I’ll post on the cook tomorrow night.

2 Likes

Any clue on how long they are dry aged?

I didnt see a #.

Bryan said 18/21 days

2 Likes

For $30/lb for hangers, I hope they are dynamite.

Look forward to your notes.

1 Like

For me, the regulars are so tender and flavorful I can’t see this being a big leap up. Ymmv

2 Likes

I will soon find out!

Grilled up some of these tonight. Holy crap they are good! Don’t marinade this. Treat it like a filet, cook rare/med rare with S&P. I grilled over direct heat turning every minute until seared and then indirect until they hit 125°. Intense flavor outstanding tenderness. DO NOT OVERCOOK, they are not as forgiving as the standard hanger due to the moisture loss. Great cab pairing.

7 Likes

Interesting. Sounds like a great candidate for the Anova Oven or some other sous vide option. Might even take well to a slight pre-plating crust if mostly cooked sous vide.

Bryan’s daughter posted a reel of herself trimming down a DA hanger and given the loss and time needed to trim I don’t think the price is unjustified.

2 Likes

Like I mentioned, treat it like a filet and you’ll be fine

@Robert.A.Jr is suddenly interested

(if only he could find someone to cook it for him)

Furthermore, it’s funny what we wine geeks complain about with regards to paying a premium for ANYTHING, really. 99.5% of the world thinks $8 is a LOT to spend on a bottle of wine :rofl:

2 Likes

Dude you know I was not eating Filet this weekend, it was all ribeye, baby!

How’d that weigh-in go??

I think all the dancing you (finally) did burned it off, you good.

2 Likes

Honestly, came back 1.75 pounds lighter. So elote.

2 Likes

I had a recent wine dinner using Flannery hanger steaks, wet aged. They are glorious and perfect for steak au poivre. Made the same dish with filet a few weeks ago, and love the more mineral complex hanger, although the filet was more tender and slightly richer. Not sure how much it ( the hanger) will benefit from dry aging, as the cut itself has a fair amount of funk.

Also love the hangers as the beef component in Chinese cooking. The best beef with broccoli I have ever had.

1 Like

Agreed, I use them in Asian cooking all the time.

mine get delivered today. gonna be cooked up tomorrow but have yet to decide the how of it. since I’ll be cooking dinner at my moms for her (she is a steak lover) and she doesn’t have a BBQ, its either pan or oven.

I’d do pan for a betted sear and more forgiving cook.

Both, reverse sear.

1 Like