FIVE WINOS EXCELLENT ADVENTURE , MOSTLY IN BURGUNDY - Beaune, France (6/7/2019-6/15/2019)

Just got back from 5 days in Beaune, went early June. Yes indeed the food prices are quite reasonable. But NOBODY is drinking Rousseau Chambertin, even recent vintages, (or DRC for that matter) at anything like an affordable price like that here. I and my companions ate very well for the prices, but drank more modest Burgs (1ers with a bit of age, Lafon is positively affordable!) and enjoyed myself thoroughly. These guys meet the definition of, dare I say it “ballahs”…I wish them well, would not worry about others clearing out those wines from restaurants. At least not me!!!

There are a few restaurants in France who have a huge “cheap” wine list (La Taverne alsacienne in Ingersheim with affordable Clos Ste-Hune, Auberge du pot d’étain à l’Isle sur Serein - Sancerre Vatan Néore for 28 euros !!!, au fil du zinc à Chablis - Chablis Butteaux Raveneau for 54 euros, …).

There is a connivence between the producers (Raveneau, Trimbach, Coche at La Promenade in Le Petit Pressigny, …) and the restaurant to allow people to drink these wines. The restaurant also knows how not to be pillaged.

The other way is to bring your wine with a “droit de bouchon” (you can also buy a few bottles on the wine list, to be fairplay).
Sometimes, this “droit de bouchon” can be zero (if you are familiar with the chief).
It’s a good way to share the most expensive bottles of your cellar with good friends (and make the team - at least the sommelier- taste with you).
I recently did that with a Rousseau Chambertin or a G. Rinaldi Barolo Brunate.
Who can afford to pay 3500 euros for a Rousseau in a three stars Michelin ?

Clearly looks like an Excellent Adventure! Great write up and pictures as usual. Sad about the 2013 Coche Corton Charlemagne…I am hoping that was just an off bottle as I have a few in my cellar.

Super wines, super write up super trip… just may be a curse on the liver…
Interesting to see the 2015 performing so well. Would you advise drinking a few bottles when one has 3 of them (not that I have a lot of 3 packs of the above list…)

“2018 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
Exquisite nose displaying prefect ripe pure black fruit, essence of blackberry, blackberry liqueur, licorice, sap, lavender and violet, sweet spices and limestone mineral. Perfect balance and harmony, so finely layered opulent yet pure black fruit, incredible finesse, sensual and weightless, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long pure black fruit driven finish with licorice and lavender at the end. This is like a great Chevalier Montrachet, subtle yet incredibly detailed nose with very precise sensual palate. (98 pts.)”

I also loved the Chevalier Montrachet when I visited earlier this month… and the whole range to be honest…

Great writeup! Interesting wines, from Bourgeil to Burgundy! When I bought white Burgundies I got a few Boyer-Martenot. Unfortunately most suffered from premox. Not willing to pay the tariff to drink them young.

Great writeup, and thanks for the notes. You’re a lot more optimistic than I am about the 18 reds, especially in the Cote de Nuits. Hopefully you’re right.

Bichot at NY Paulee in ?April? thought 2018 had the chance to dramatically outperform expectations.

Hey…that’s a familiar pic!

Just had another bottle of the 04 MP last week, which was drinking better than my note on this bottle below. But most of the 04 Les Tillets I’ve also had have been poxed!

• 2004 Yves Boyer-Martenot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (12/13/2018)
    First off, no ox! The fruit is rich and somewhat concentrated, with a nice nerve of lemon, apple skin, and crushed stones streaking through. Ripe orchard stone fruits…creamy and crazy crystalline for its age…not as “perrieres” as the fatness throws you, but there is plenty of crushed rocks and saline minerality to accept. Age has brought on some honey, marzipan, dried apple, hazelnut butter…pretty flower and chalk dust florals, faint match strike…finishes with subtle oak barrel spice and smoked vanilla bean. Aging very well, and showing true to its appellation. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

A number of winemakers compared it to 2003, which makes me very leery. It’s a really, really open vintage in barrel. Again, I hope to be wrong.

Hi Kevin, Thank you for letting me live vicariously again thru your great notes and pictures! Bravo

When u are in burgundy. What’s a budget?

A fantastic and compelling read, as always Kevin. Even more than previous, I think this time the joy you experienced in so many of the wines and visits shines through on these notes. Thanks so much for letting me live vicariously too!

Skal,

Mike

Awesome report and seems like an excellent time. I agree that Leflaive seems to be returning to glory.

No difference, we just don’t want too much competition, e.g. two years ago, I did a lot of research to find a restaurant with very good DRC prices. Someone else mentioned on BB, now the prices of La Tache jumped 2.5X.

Great trip report and of course wines. Always great to share outstanding wines with like minded individuals. Seems that you sniffed out most of the Raveneau and Rousseau in Burgundy.

Saw the 2014 Bourgueil Clos Nouveau today in a shop in Bordeaux and wondered: ”Now where have I seen this before?” A quick WB search and another look at this thread made a purchase seem like a no-brainer.

I hope you enjoy it. Please post your tn.

did this guy Kelly show up on the right day for his flight home?

You drink well. The summary at the beginning was helpful.

Well done Kevin , great notes and pictures . I wish I was there…
I will have to open some of these young wines you tasted

Herwig,
Other than Tour D’Argent, I am not aware of any restaurant to find perfectly mature Burgundies. Coming from the states, it is better to enjoy/assess young wines from the restaurants and keep my bottles sleep for awhile. BTW, let’s plan something next year.