Finally got to use Zalto

I had mentioned these stems to a buddy. He went out and got six of the Burgundy stems. Wow! They are really cool. I preferred them to my Riedel Sommelier Burgundy stem. They are weightless and produced very focused aromatics. If you can get over the fear of breaking them just by looking at them, they are seriously awesome. I need to buy a few of these.

They are heaven and much less likely to break than your Riedel Sommeliers.

Any counsel on whether to go for the universals or the burgs? We have a fairly diverse cellar of Swiss, Italian, CA and French so I am leaning universal, but would appreciate any comments on how the burgs work with other wines.

TIA

Get both…

If you are on the fence, why not consider the Bordeaux? Given budgeting, this is the only shape I use at home. I use it for a whole range of whites and reds with great results.

Disclaimer: I sell these

I got a sampler pack of each stem, and I’m going to try them out for a while and see what I like. Looking forward to getting them! Expensive toys…

A Sauternes fan! Did you get the sweet wine one as well?

I was surprised by this one as it is in the same style as the Champagne but a slightly bigger bulb which lead me to think of its dual use for older champagne and wines with serious RS.

I did get one of the sweet wine glass. I’ll compare it to the Riedel Sommelier Sauternes and see if I notice a difference…

+1.

Like my univs for all sorts of wines… Haven’t had a chance to try the others

I got a pair of Zalto Bordeauxs for Christmas. Haven’t tried them out yet but I will say, I really like the balance of the glass.

I like both and enjoy them for different reasons.
The Universals are a truly universal glass. Everything shows the best characteristics with this glass. This glass is incredible for whites too.
Not quite as good for older Burgundies or those that need significant air as the Burg glasses but they are wonderful. That is picking a nit.

You can’t go wrong here.
I love the Bordeaux glass but I find the Universals bring out the same characters and the volume is a little smaller.
That I actually find beneficial in many ways.

Indeed this is what I do. Sweet wine glasses for Champagne too - the other way around doesn’t work.
Depending on the Champagne I also drink them in Universal or Burgundy.

• a lot!! I just haven’t found a justification for purchasing the others.

My preference is the white wine glass for Champagne. Had some Jacquart Nominee last night which is compromised mostly of '96 pinot/chard and the white really brings out all the flavors of an aged Champagne. Thre’s just more room in the bowl for all that’s going on.

Jeb - have you tried the Universal?

My preference is for the Universal (or even the white wine) over the Burg but it depends somewhat on your usage. I definitely find that the nose shows better in the Burg glass but the large size is very awkward for me. I never bring it to a dinner due to the size.

BTW - the white wine glass is perfect for old Rioja.

I also like the Champagne flute best for some but not all Champagnes.

Sure have, but I tend to like the white a little better for Champagne.

I definitely prefer the Burg for Piedmont and Burgundy.

The Universal is Zalto’s equivalent of Riedel vinnum Chianti.

The Bordeaux for Cab base, Super Tuscan and big Syrahs.

The Champagne - ligher style, Dom, CdC and etc.

The Universal - Krug, Salon, Rose, Substance and etc.

In general I prefer universal for Champagne.

I think of the Zalto white wine glass as a closer equivalent here.