Fedex Home Delivery

Thanks for that explanation. That now helps explain a few situations depending on what address is used. My problem with home delivery is it seems like that I can only re-route to somewhere near my house. A hub is 20 minutes away and ground goes through there. I re-route ground to a FedEx location 2 minutes from the hub. It is one of the first stops so it doesn’t spend long on the truck and I can pick it up early in the morning. Home goes through one of two other hubs which are both 30-45 minutes away. Truck gets to my area very late in the day.

And I’ve had the same, unchanging FedEx notice all week that a package is due for delivery by the end of day on 4/11, which is today, but I can’t manage the delivery because the package apparently hasn’t been scanned — “a label has been created” — so is the package arriving today, and, if so, will the driver actually attempt delivery, or is it still up in Rockland Co., NY? FedEx’s website is silent on the matter, no updates or changes to their posting that it will arrive today. Not helpful.

Sometimes their Manage Delivery feature works, sometimes not.

Zero complaints for FedEx. 20 years zero problems. Like any large corporation it will be the individuals in certain areas that mess it up not FedEx. I just ship to FedEx office and pick up on my way home from work as with home delivery you need to be there to sign for wine.

Since I started redirecting to one of my local Walgreens many of these issues have disappeared.

Since I started redirecting to one of my local Walgreens many of these issues have disappeared.

Maybe someone has answered this but I wonder if the home delivery is a separate entity from their FedEx Office/Walgreens drivers. I am pretty sure the Home Delivery Drivers are independent contractors. Maybe the drivers who do the larger volume pickups at FedEx Office/ Walgreens are employed directly by FedEx and stay on the job longer. Would make sense if people are having issues with their home delivery drivers.

FedEx Ground and Home are separate operations, warehouses, and drivers from original FedEx.

-Al

Does Walgreens accept wine shipments? I ask because the FedEx website list of Virginia locations that accept wine shipments seems to exclude Walgreens and most of the other locations that receive non-wine shipments.

Regardless, I’ve been able to have both FedEx Ground and FedEx Home wine shipments delivered to my local Walgreen’s.

Everyone’s mileage will vary, I’m sure.

I’ve never had issues with FedEx for envelopes/paperwork. I’ve had consistent problems with them for packages (in fact just last week a washer part was “left at the front door” - which for me would be out on the sidewalk (Manhattan) Complete BS). I don’t think they even try to deliver half the time. Innumerable “Not home” but never a door tag. UPS is great, however, but other people have the reverse experiences.

Sure. I was answering question whether they have same drivers as regular FedEx.

-Al

I’ve never had issues with FedEx for envelopes/paperwork. I’ve had consistent problems with them for packages (in fact just last week a washer part was “left at the front door” - which for me would be out on the sidewalk (Manhattan) Complete BS). I don’t think they even try to deliver half the time. Innumerable “Not home” but never a door tag. UPS is great, however, but other people have the reverse experiences.

I agree with the door tags. I will read online tried to deliver but no door tags. I am just glad I have a FedEx Office right down the road.

Huh. Now it appears that they only try and deliver once. Got a door tag saying I wasn’t home and they left it at a Fed-Ex store. I don’t particularly mind that I have to get it from there but when did this become their policy to try and deliver to your home only once?

You’re not able to redirect until after the shipment has been commenced. When it’s just in the “label created” stage you can’t, because I believe that’s simply the shipper has entered the information into the computer and generated a label, but has not actually tendered the package for shipment.

I’ve had such shipments sit in that status for several days, I assume because wineries generate a bunch of shipments/labels and then go put them on boxes and bring the boxes to Fedex later in the week. (Although recently I had one sit that way for a couple of weeks - turned out FedEx lost the package before even scanning it in).

I’ve had several LBW and Wine Spies sit for over 2 weeks until they were actually tendered to FEDEX.

FedEx and UPS are comparable in that the service you get is going to be dependent on the state and the specific location within the state and also the delivery guy. They’re supposed to have rules, but some places you can call and the guy will turn around and get back to you if you weren’t home. In other places they won’t. And you can always have something HAL - held at location, and that you have to set up ahead of time. Go to the FedEx places near you and ask if they’ll accept shipments for your pick up. Not all will and again, depending on the space, some will not hold larger packages.

Here’s my local UPS story:

Package could not be delivered. But no door tag, no buzzer, no phone.

Next day, package could not be delivered. My wife was waiting home all day.

Oh, you can pick it up at the depot.

OK when?

We close at seven.

So we get there at 6:30.

The driver isn’t back.

When will he be back?

Eight o’clock.

Can we get it then?

No, we close at seven.

What about tomorrow?

No, we’re closed on weekends.

Why didn’t he try to deliver?

He said he did and you weren’t home.

But we were waiting for him.

Sorry sir. I know it’s frustrating. You can come in Monday or he’ll try to deliver again on Monday.

^ That’s about what I get from UPS as well (with depot 45 minutes away), unless we get lucky and we’re home. FedEx is a dream by comparison with hold at location within 5 minutes.

I like the option to have FedEx deliver to Walgreens and hold it there in the air-conditioned store:

The package actually was on the move but the tracking didn’t reflect that. The initial shipper, Vin-Go, also tried to find it and as far as they could tell from FedEx was that it was still in California (it was in NY).

That does work, but recently in two different shipments, the wine was dropped off, but still showed it in transit. I went to the Walgreens and they had one for a couple days. If your tracking has not changed after a day, call the store where redirected.

the whole system is dependent on scanning the label which doesn’t always happen. Especially if FEDEX id dropping off several packages at Walgreens and the driver is in a hurry.

1 Like