Favre-a-thon 6.0

Favre-a-thon 6.0 is underway. Here’s a first crack at Friday night’s notes.
FAVRE-A-THON 6.0 - (9/9/2017)

Reception

Batard

Chevalier

BBM

DRC Richebourg

• 1972 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru
    Still showing very nice fruit, with leather, light spice, and just a touch of tobacco. Thankfully this held together and could be appreciated over a couple of hours.
  • 1999 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru
    Still a bit tough and unyielding, the 99 is just starting to present what I suspect (hope?) will be its beauty. I’d counsel against opening these, as they just aren’t showing enough yet.
  • 2006 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru
    The 06 didn’t get much love, and frankly didn’t deserve much. An underwhelming showing.
  • 2009 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru
    Quite sexy for a youngster, and a crowd pleaser. Should be great over time, and is a nice “young” DRC to open early.

More Richebourg

Posted from CellarTracker

Glad there were a few hits amongst the misses there Brad.

Thanks for all the Leflaive notes. Looks like it’s time to open my lone bottle of 99 Chevalier.

Jerry, it was my last bottle of 99 as well. We’re old enough - time to open it!

Saturday whites were off the charts. Notes up later. Posts may be slow as everyone is traveling and it was a late west coast night.

Looking forward to the notes, Brad.

Got a little recap of night 2.

Sounded amazing.

Sorry I couldn’t make it. Will have to squirrel away my 89 Leflaive BBM for some other occasion.

Looking forward to night 2 notes!

Brad,

Do you think the reason the 2006 DRC Riche didn’t get much love is that it was just too soon? Or do you think it was more just due to an average vintage amongst legends? Thanks, Kirk

Good question, but I don’t have a good answer. Honestly, hard to say.

One early comment on Saturday. 2010 Lafon Montrachet was WOTN for many of us. It was wine of the weekend for me.

stupid lafon and their stupid premox issues now. Those lafon montys are ridic.

Here are notes on the whites from Saturday night. Lunch notes and reds will have to wait until tomorrow.
FAVRE-A-THON 6.0 SATURDAY WHITES - (9/10/2017)

Champagne

Salon

• 1999 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne
    The 99 Salon was racy, exuberant, powerful, and downright fun. If the Beach Boys had drunk champagne, etc…
  • 2002 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne
    In contrast to the 1999, the 2002 Salon was clean, tight, precise, and linear. While I like it, its never lived up to its billing for me. The table was split, but there was more enthusiasm from the 99 lovers than the 02 fans.

Coche CC

• 2006 Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    Initially very pure, clean and a touch lean. With air over a few hours this fully came together and gave the 09 a run for its money. Like the 09, very approachable notwithstanding its youthfulness.
  • 2009 Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    Stunning. So voluptuous, lush and rich. Both the 06 and 09 were extremely approachable given their youth.

Great Whites

• 1999 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Absolutely delicious. Very balanced and complex.
  • 1992 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Ruchottes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
    This was showing so much sulfur. I held my glass back for a few flights, and after the sulfur finally dissipated a terrific wine ensued.
  • 2010 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Montrachet Grand Cru
    Words fail me on this wine. Incredible, and my WOTN, wine of the weekend, and in the running for top three of the year. Brought by Andy Bridge, and he said that Dominique told him he felt it was the best Montrachet he’s ever bottled. Utterly sublime.
  • 2013 Domaine Ramonet Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Montrachet Grand Cru
    Served next to the sublime 2010 Lafon Montrachet, this had tough positioning. But it was also stunning, and easily the top 2013 white I’ve tasted (and I like the 13’s a lot). I’m thrilled to own some of this, and would not hesitate to open one young.

Drouhin Laquiche Montrachet

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for posting all these notes Brad!!! I need to get my thoughts down but most if not all would be pretty darn close to yours. What a great weekend getting this group together to share wine - 6th year doing this and I plan on going well into version 20.0+ :slight_smile:.

and maybe by version 20 they will spell Favre correctly!

Details, details. We’re still mad at his cousin in Minnesota for a) kicking our a** for many years, and b) not taking us to the Super Bowl. So we abuse the young cousin in many ways.

Bring it - abuse by DP is a horrible way to die champagne.gif

So who is this Farvre guy, anyway?

I don’t know about anyone else, but I am most struck, and most devastated, by how Leflaive can go from the pinnacle of white burg to middling, inconsistent, flawed wines that are still exceedingly expensive. One of my major wine disappointments of the last 20 years.

John. Agree with you, and we talked about it on Friday. It’s interesting that in this sample size of twelve wine geeks, I don’t think one said they still buy Leflaive. And for me, well over half of my purchases in the last five years have been white burgs.

same. But their pricing still holds strong cause there are idiots that don’t believe in premox.

How can a wine punch above its weight when it’s a grand cru?