Favourite Quality in a wine

The ability to make good food even better.

alcohol :slight_smile:

[cheers.gif]

I must admit that more and more over time I have been buying wines where I have visited the producer - esp. Burgundies. There is some level of confirmation here in that I tend to visit producers where I like the wines. But, going to a winery, meeting the people who make the wines (this really is more of a Burgundy thing as in many regions like California this generally does not happen), seeing how they make wines, tasting through a range of wines, etc., often makes me feel more comfortable buying future vintages without having tasted the new wines.

Character.

I think you and Frank are saying two different things. Unless I misread you, you are saying that having visited an operation and talked to the winemakers gives you confidence that they are likely to make a wine you will like even without tasting it first. That is a kind of information gathering that makes sense to me. I understood Frank to be saying that the character of the folks who make the wine is a primary factor in purchase decisions – I like the people so I like and will buy the wine. That is a perspective I do not share.

Actually, they were called the Moops, and the quality is Moopishness.

7E26FD4E-5AFB-432A-802A-560B9562DD63.gif

In at least some cases (for example, Blair Pethel), it is probably some of both. I liked how he made the wines but I probably like the wines even more because I like him.

Alcohol. Taste. Smell.

Have no clue wtf structure, texture, tannins, etc. anything else are so I can’t gauge on this.

My favourite quality is colour.

+1

What does this mean - dark color, light color, bright color, cloudier color??? I have found that many of my very favorite red wines have a much lighter color than I would have expected and that I cannot tell that much from the color of a wine as to whether I will like the wine.

imho there cannot be a SINGLE quality that defines a great wine -
several components must go together well to create a convincing quality.

Colour alone without apropriate structure is nothing,
structure alone without necessary fruit is a bad thing,
fruit without acidity,
acidity without fruit …
power without complexity,
finesse without intensity and length,
and so on …

Nope.
Yesterday I attended a concert of one of my fav. (Rock-Pop-)musicians/composers, who also produces wine …
and which was served to the audience: one was called Roxanne (white), another “They dance alone” (red) …
one glass of each was enough - for the lifetime …
not that the wines were bad, they were ok, quite honest, said to be organic, and tasting like a lot of similar wines from Tuscany IGP, but definitely more expensive (incl. a bonus) …

I love the man, but not the wines …

Howard, just a silly answer, play on “favourite” :wink:

[cheers.gif]

I think it makes total sense to enjoy wines from wineries you visited.

Sometimes wine is just a beverage, sometimes it helps create a narrative. It’s hard to go too wrong reminiscing about excellent vacations, places you’ve seen and people you liked.

seriously? this question again?
too soon? maybe not?

Maybe if we drank zero-alcohol wine, our memories would be better.

my single favorite is an intriguing nose on a wine. with the right wine I am almost as happy just sitting and smelling it as I am actually drinking it. a good, bright, complex nose is easily the most enjoyable part of a good wine for me.