Favourite Quality in a wine

Alcohol. Who’d drink the shit if it didn’t fuck you up?

The QPR.

Yes. Obviously…

Or a description from Wuthering Heights.

A 98 to 100 point score is a great quality. And oh yeah, also a cool label so it will shine on my Instagram post.

Succulence

Given that Muslims do not drink alcohol, I can only imagine that when he praised the Moorishness of an alcoholic beverage, Alan was complimenting the Ridge for managing to balance seemingly mutually exclusive qualities, like its American oak and size on the one hand and its seeming precision and weightlessness on the other. What a brilliant, descriptive (literary even) comment to make on a wine. Bravo!

Mouthfeel (usually looking for something substantive, viscous, mouth-coating, silky/velvety)

pronounced and complex aroma and flavor intensity

That it is a liquid.

It would be less fun if I had to chew it.

I think “gourmand” and “more-ish” mean similar things: they’re wines that aren’t necessarily excellent or even great, but there’s something delicious about them that compels you to keep drinking

A nose so complex and interesting that I am reticent to even take a sip. Has happened to me multiple times, and each time it fills me with wonder. If I’m that enamored with the nose, I must LOVE the wine itself, but I don’t want to get my nose out long enough to sip it.

More correctly, the best feature of a wine is its ability to instill jealousy in others after posted on my Instagram feed.

The people behind the wine.

Interesting. This means absolutely nothing to me. I suppose if Pol Pot made the wine I’d find something else to drink but I can’t think of a time when this was any factor at all in a purchasing decision.

(I should add in the interest of candor and completeness, that while I would not buy Trump wine if it were made by my best friend because an expensive over-oaked VA cab is about the bottom of my shopping list, if he bought Chateau Latour it might give me pause.)

great flavor that you smell and taste

Wet horse saddle.

Taste. Then texture…

Always love a good deal.

Neither has mine: complexity. Which by my definition has some similarities to Howard’s “length.” The ability of a wine to reveal multiple different aromas and tastes, as each taste evolves on the nose and palate and over time as the bottle is consumed. That’s what turns an excellent, balanced wine into an outstanding experience.