Favorite summer wines 2013

2011 Ecker Gelber Muskateller is nectar from the Gods. Food friendly and slurpable.

2012 Scherrer Dry Rose
2012 Bedrock “Ode” Rose
2012 Arnot-Roberts Rose
2012 Cep Rose

All of these were excellent to folks who drink a lot of rose in hot weather.

ps: Bedrock Compagni Portis which was, the best white of the summer. Followed closely by Left Foot Charley Pinot Blanc

Alsatian whites

2012 Lieu-Dit Santa Ynez Valley Sauvignon Blanc.

Schloss Johannisberger 2012er Riesling Kabinett Feinherb has been amazing for me the last few days (finally the summer arrived here). Such great concentration and length. I really think it’s worth picking a few up if you have it available.

The feinherb is supposed to be off-dry, but I find this to be quite dry. Basically this is due to two things, I believe, the very high acidity and the drying minerals in the finish.

Great wine all year long, but surely at it’s best now.

For a little simpler wine with refreshing qualities I also think Selbach-Oster’s Schlossberg Kabinett is a nice wine on the balcony, but not something I would turn to in the colder months. The sweetness is much higher in that one, though.

Cinderella Wine has a Villiard Viognier up right now - that’s an EASY buy, especially with free shipping at 3 bottles - http://cinderellawine.com/

Dom Tempier Bandol Rose
The 2012 is magnificent.

In for 3.

I planned ahead a bought several cases in anticipation of a warm summer: Botani, Cloudy Bay SB, A selection from Sancerre, Puech Haut rose, and various odds and ends from CA.
However, it’s been fairly moderate with rarely a temp over 75F so I’ve been drinking reds.

Barossa Shiraz, Barolo, Amarone, some Madiran, a couple of Cahors, all of the 100+ Parker Points™ Chateauneufs. You know, the usual hot summer choices…

Agreed. A definite sleeper wine that is perfect for hot afternoons!

Albariño is one of the few wines I bother buying off the reliably shitty wine lists here in OC, on those rare instances we don’t base our restaurant choice on free/cheap BYOB policies. Even the lower end versions that show up on lists are refreshing. I never seem to remember to purchase it otherwise, and I don’t know why?

Belle Glos Pinot Noir blanc & Recuerdo Torrontes.

Me too, but Jen doesn’t like it (or any crisp white, for that matter) so unless I plan to drink the whole bottle, I’m out.

Gran Vinum Albarino
a Bandol rose’ (not the Tempier)
Muga rose’
Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen Kabinett
looking forward to opening a Daulny Sancerre (Sauvignon Blanc) soon and have Bugey Cerdon slated for a church event in late August
DeBiase Pinot Noir also for church event in August
Ponzi Arneis

Too early to tell and too many to mention :slight_smile:
But I’ll go with Casa d’Ambra Frassitelli 2012, Txomin Txakoli Rosado 2012 and one of Anselmo Mendes’ alvarinhos.
(On a somewhat related note, these days it’s 30+ in Brussels, and I find one of Eric Bordelet’s range of Sydre can be just the ticket - the Argelette being my current favourite).

Wife’s favorite has been the Lucien Albrecht Cremant d’ Alsace Brut Rose.

Tasted through a bunch of Roses and Whites and have gone back often to:
2012 Jean-Maurice Raffault Chinon Rose
2012 Sinskey Rose
2010 Domaine Henri Gouges Bourgoune Pinot Blanc

This was amazing.
IMG_4702.JPG

Nice.

I am not a white winedrinker but most of my guests like the El Meson Rioja Blanco 100% Viura.
Must say its a bargain for only 5 euro [middle-finger.gif]

Hot? Someone said it was hot? We haven’t seen 70 in 2 weeks!

Opened a Kinero Brouhaha last night, pretty refreshing stuff.