Favorite "Entry-Level" Barolo and Barbaresco

Paging Mike Dildine

As noted, look North… I’ll add Vallana.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1132184

And of course Antoniolo, Ferrando, and Monsecco (Zanetta Sergio E. Valter).

Sottimano for sure…wonderful Barbarescos at good prices, with vineyard differences. In the US, they can be better priced than the Produttori crus. (I realized that Produttori has “upped” their winemaking technology in recent years, but cannot imagine that it approaches the quality of Sottimano wines.)

Sottimano is good. Produttori crus are better.

Vajra Barolo Albe, Ca du Rabaja Barbaresco

Orsolani

Agreed. I find Sottimano more modern and not my style.

Produttori del Barbaresco and Brovia.

Wow. I just popped a bottle of 2000 Pelissero Langhe Long Now. It is the inaugural vintage of a modern nebbiolo/barbera blend crafted for the US market and tied in to a non-profit. I’m not generally a fan of modern nebbiolo, but… well… wow. I’ll report back tomorrow, but the aromatics here are incredible. Maybe I juat caught the right bottle at the right time. If this bottle had the word “Gaja” on it, it would sell for $500+ and be a rock star.

For truly entry level, try the Terre da Vino COOP. Barolo and Barbaresco should be both under $20…

For my taste, the best Nebbiolo at lower price points is usually Nebbiolo d’Alba or Langhe Nebbiolo. They drink earlier than Barolo and Barbaresco, they can age for 5 or more years, and even the best examples aren’t very expensive. Most Nebbiolo d’Alba comes from the Roero, and some great Barolo producers have vineyards there for their everyday Nebbiolos.

I love Oddero.
Both young and old.
Great value.

My problem is with base Langhe Nebbiolo is that I usually don’t like the way it drinks when it’s super young – even these I much prefer with 15+ years – and I don’t have the space to cellar $20 bottles of wine for as long as it takes.

If you can still find some, it would be worth making room for the 2010 Vajra Nebbiolo. I opened my lone bottle of this the other night and, at the 6 hr mark, the bouquet alone made me wish I had a case in the cellar. It was very tasty and should only get better with time.

FYI…runs about $20.

Easy folks. Guy asks for Entry level B&B and people are talking expensive, hard to get bottles that will take ten years to drink well.

(Warning! Fruitcake thread drift. But at least it is an Italian fruitcake. 2013 vintage, not, thankfully, 2010.)

Bill Boykin, I have good news and I have bad news:

First, the good news: your many friends, family, neighbors and local politicians in Liguria pitched in to remember you during this festive time with a traditional Ligurian pandolce, pictured below:
IMG_0123.JPG
Now the bad news: I am not heading to the U.S. anytime soon, so I just had a hefty slice with my afternoon caffe. And as the photo reveals, it was not the first time. I will make it up to you. There is everything in that cake that you love, except perhaps pesto and trenette, but I cannot even be sure of that. (There are pignoli in it, even if no basilico.) After a season of eating panettone and your pandolce, the earth fairly tremors here with the ancient Romans turning over in their graves this time of year at the horror of their beloved sweet having evolved into the Claxton fruitcake!

That’s why I mentioned Terre da Vino, Gary.

It looks absolutely delicious.Bill,but we had a reasonable facsimile last night…

Yours could even have been better. Fortunately, reasonable facsimiles abound, and in the case of panettone, the real thing abounds over there, of exactly the same quality enjoyed here!

For Barbaresco I’d take Pertinace over Terre da Vino any time!!!