Fantastic 4 for Friday

• 1999 Emmanuel Rouget Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (5/14/2016)
    Much better showing this time around. Still young with a touch of oak on the nose. Earthy but also with some nice baking spice. The palate is smooth but still has some nice structure from the tannins. Balanced with good fruit and length. Drinking nicely now but with lots of room to improve.
  • 2006 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Aux Cras - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (5/14/2016)
    Much more rustic than their Vosne and Echezeaux. Lots of oak in the nose initially. Palate is long and dense with good weight. Plenty of sweet fruit, earth, and NSG character. These are so silky and smooth. Not sure how they would age but appears to be designed to drink well young. I agree with the person below who says it reminds him of Leroy. In fact, I said the exact same thing as we were drinking this.
  • 2007 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru (5/14/2016)
    Plenty of vanilla and ripe stone fruit on the nose. Lots of fruit and sweetness on the plate. Drinking very nicely now.
  • 2011 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru (5/14/2016)
    Much more reduction on the nose than the 07. Significantly more acidic and chalky. Lighter in fruit too. With time though the acidity retreats a bit and more fruit emerges. Really nice. Give this some air if drinking now.

Posted from CellarTracker
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Fred got in early for his dinner in DTLA so I stopped by for happy hour as it was a couple blocks from my office. Got to enjoy a quick hour of wine tasting before he had dinner.

Loved the palate on that Liger Belair. It had a rustic savage nature to it but it was still balanced, smooth with pure dark fruit. The nose was crazy oaky tho. Like high octane napa cab level oak on the nose. Wasn’t nearly as pretty and light as the 06 echezeaux we had a few months ago, but it was a monster in its own right. Showed that NSG character.

Didn’t try the Rouget.

The 11 PYCM was steely and minerally on the palate. A bit light like Fred said, but I only tasted it early on. It was much lighter than the 07. The 07 was this dense beast of a wine. Just gobs and gobs of fruit and everything really hung on for awhile on the palate. Oak was integrated better than the 11 (obviously).

Cool notes and pics. Thanks for sharing.