Family and Friends with 1992 Domaine Jomain Batard and 1983 Vogüé Musigny

Color and fill looked good on these two bottles at a local store so we took a chance on them for Saturday supper with the family at a local french bistro.

Food was surprisingly good for Miami and for being in a mall. Corkage was surprisingly reasonable, $25 per bottle and 2 max.

Both wines showed well. Corks were intact and in good condition. Dinner of oysters, chilled lobster, fried calamari, pappardelle with bolognese, duck confit, grilled chicken, and sea bream were all very solid.

By the end of the night everyone felt that the red was good but the white was just another level of complexity: once again proving the adage that a well aged white burg will usually best a well aged red burg.

• 1983 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Cuvée Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru (2/16/2019)
    Surprisingly good. This is a nice example of an elegantly aged red burg that has transcended the vintage. Black tea and sous bois notes with a hint of brown sugar and spice. Some lingering sweet cherry fruit on the palate. I suspect this is at the end of its drinking plateau and on its way down. Held up throughout the night without signs of decline but also no improvement.
  • 1992 Domaine Jomain Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (2/16/2019)
    Not familiar with this producer but the color and fill were excellent and the price was worth a shot. Pop and pour, there was no hint of oxidation. Surprisingly not too much sulfur too considering the excellent light yellow color. Immediately the Batard fat and richness is evident. There is a touch of honey, ripe fruits, vanilla creme and with enough acidity and minerality to let you know it is alive and well. A shockingly good wine and outclassed the very good 83 Vogue Musigny next to it.

Posted from CellarTracker

I’ve had a few Jomain; I bought some from last bottle of all places; the 14 Puligny villages was quite nice. 92 was right at the beginning of premox right? Although I guess an oxidized 92 would just be oxidized after 27 years, not premox.

95/96 are recognized as the beginning of the premox era though there were premoxed wines before, sporadically.

not sure I’d say the Moose transcended the vintage. 83 is a pretty good red vintage. Nice local store to have that! Don’t know the Batard producer.

I always thought rot was an issue but it looks like Decanter rated it 4/5!

overstated by Wine Spectator. It’s a pretty good vintage.

I would never state that generally.
In your case it seemed to have been so …

Generally speaking 1992 was a better white Burg vintage than 1983 in red … and this was also not the very best period for Vogüé … on the other hand I don´t know Jomain at all … and eventually it´s always a matter of bottle condition - and taste.

Gerhard, I was being partially facetious with the term “adage”. As you said, my preference seems to lean towards a well aged white burg.

The only absolute is that there is no absolute.

Nice Fred!
I often visit Jomain - good wines at decent prices - for Puligny. Still today their wines are towards the richer, gutsier end of the spectrum. I had some oxidised 2005s - but some remaining bottles of 05 that I finished last year were more than okay. They are not a poster-child in respect of pox, but probably average.

Yes there was a lot of rot in 1983 - as ever, how individual domaines dealt with that varied considerably…