Faiveley and Drouhin holdings?

Indeed, it appears to be the case given the following: “Pour certaines appellations communales et régionales, Joseph Drouhin complète son approvisionnement auprès de viticulteurs partenaires de longue date, qui partagent ses exigences.”

This I suppose is the current state of affairs, but there are definitely wines on their list that were made from purchased fruit (e.g. Chambertin: “achat de raisins auprès de fournisseurs partenaires,” though the last vintage of that appears to have been 2013).

Drouhin owns 0.13 ha of Beze according to their website.

For Faiveley, a random sample of the listings seem to show that each of the wines listed are from sites owned by the domaine. I wonder if, like Drouhin, they only purchase fruit for the regional/village wines.

Adrian,

I guess it’s a question of what you’re trying to accomplish. The Drouhin vineyards I listed are vinified and bottled as a PC or GC bottling. To list all the plots would be a chore. Since you referenced Jadot I assumed we were looking for a list of wines from each producer from vineyards they own.

my gripe with both of these is mores that retailers don’t make the distinction very often. you typically have to know if the bottling is domaine or Maison instead of them being specified.

Faiveley has been quite active since the Hanson book was written.
Jasper seems to be busy with his zoom tastings etc. Since there are no bookstores, it’s hard to imagine him working on the book with a deadline in mind.

I thought Drouhin Clos Sorbes was purchased. Am I incorrect ?

I think both the clos sorbes and the clos st denis are from jouan.

Yep, the most up to date places to go…

Definitely the case - Faiveley went on a bit of buying spree in the last 20 years - although about 70 of their hectares are in Mercurey, they now one of the biggest owners of vines and make much more domaine than maison wine today - the Hanson book is long in the tooth now, re holdings, online is your best bet, as above, as printed media are quickly out of date for more (commercially) dynamic houses.

Both Drouhin and Faiveley buy grand cru grapes/wine…

Do you think that retailers have a secret decoder ring that we have not been able to find?

It may be the same as Bonnes Mares which it is listed as domaine on the label in some vintages but not in others. I once spent a long time trying to find out why that is the case and what I determined is that it is probably (but not definitely) because in some years they buy some fruit which is blended into their domaine holdings. I.e., it always includes the domaine fruit but sometimes has some non domaine fruit added.

doesn’t drouhin label the bottle as “Domaine” when it is made with domaine fruit?

Yes, though as I note above that can vary from vintage to vintage for some bottlings.

From the tech sheet on the importers site

The monks from the Abbey of Bèze became owners of vineyards in Gevrey as early as 630AD.
• They cultivated this vineyard and built a wall around it which is no longer extant today.
• Soil: a mix of red clay, chalk and broken stones.
• Drouhin estate: 0,13 ha. (0.325 acre). Average age of the vines: replanted.

Again from the tech sheet…

Viticulture:
• Plantation density: 10,000 vinestocks/ha in order to
extract as much as possible from the terroir and limit
the production of each vine stock.
• Pruning: Guyot.
• Yield: 41 hl/ha - purposely low, in order for the grapes
to reveal every nuance of the terroir.
• Grape Supply: grapes and wines provided by regular
supply partners.

Yes.

Fair question – I think on the whole it’s actually pretty transparent what Jadot owns and bottles as domaine vs. maison (just look at the label). I was hoping there could be similar shortcuts for the other two big houses.

I suspect this to indeed be the case now. I will try and find some other sources to verify this. It would certainly be very nice to be able to look at the label, see the domaine statement, and buy comfortably.

Adrian,

Perhaps we have 2 threads that you update in 1st post to what is Domaine owned and bottled. Just naming the vineyards they own seems a silly exercise. I read it as you state, so tried to keep it to labels that read, essentially, grown and bottled.

Im obviously missing something, why are the tech sheets for each bottling not reliable info?

If you are stuck inside in rural France long enough, with no restaurants or wineries open for business or visits, you will work on almost anything. I am mulching everything in my yard for the first time in 10 years.