Extremely Broad Generalizations Based on Over-Extrapolations from Limited Experience Thread

Orange wines suck…

Natural wines suck…

Hipsters suck…

Sorry, having a moment as my town gets taken over on weekends with the above…

So, I bought on release a few bottles of some highly extolled yet affordable wines and properly stored them for several years before pulling a cork and making my assessment, of course, extrapolating a broad conclusion based on very limited tasting experience and next to no knowledge.

The wine? 1978 Ch Beaucastel. I concluded that I didn’t and wouldn’t like Rhone wines. Unfortunately it was many years before I had a mature Cote Rotie and faced the fact that bretty CdP is not reflective of northern Rhone syrahs.

1 Like

I opened a 1990 La Chapelle last Saturday. Completely dead. No wine prior to 2000 can be trusted.

1 Like

I opened a bottle of and it was a life changing experience, best wine I’ve ever had. The winemaker walks on water and everything they produce is the nectar of the gods, can do no wrong, I will buy everything I am allocated forever.

I always ignore threads like this, and BTW, SNL is dead.

DRC is fake.

I once had an off-dry Riesling with spicy Thai food and it was great. Now riesling is the only thing I’ll drink with Asian food. One variety is all an entire continent needs.

3 Likes

Burgundy is dead at retail.

3 Likes

Had a 2010 Kistler Chardonnay with brunch today. Of course it was completely oxidized. All Kistler Chardonnays over 5 years old are oxidized

Maybe it’s dry January but there’s a lot on the board the last few weeks I wish I could ignore.

Had an excellent 2009 Sociando Mallet today. Therefore Robert Parker was right about 2009 being an amazing Bordeaux vintage and those who say it is too hot are wrong.

[stirthepothal.gif]

I think we do this all the time as people, and of course, I’m expanding this beyond wine.
Like the Korean war veteran who thinks South Korea is a poor backwater because the country was a mess when he served there 60 years ago, or, the aged physician who learned this surgical technique in medical school but doesn’t believe there are better techniques now. We all have limited experience, every one of us.

For once I agree with you. :wink:

The last two wines I’ve had from Argentina and Chile were terrible, and turned my mouth purple.

I think you got the thread correctly!

Ray Walker.

2 Likes