Exploring Chambolle Musigny affordably? (Drouhin?)

Panzer and zachys both have the 17 for $59

Edit - never mind though you.mean hudelot noellat

1 Like

Is that technically part of nsg?

I don’t believe so.

Btw does anyone own this burgundy wall map by poupon? It’s sort of pricey but looks interesting.

1 Like

Thanks folks. Very helpful. Sounds like there is no reason to avoid Drouhin and actually they would be in a style I’d like – I have a line on a few Drouhin C-M villages at under $50 so I will get those, and keep an eye out for Hudelot-Noellat and others mentioned on this thread.

Interestingly, the Drouhin 1er C-M and the Dujac villages are about the same price, setting up that choice between a good producers higher hierarchy wine and an even better producers village.

Barthod Bourgogne Chambolle village and 1ers are my go to but at good price not US price
HN can be good but rarely better than their Vosne and their NSG (bas de comme)
Roumier Mugnier pricey,
Christian Clerget vill and 1er Charmes are pretty good… and under the radar so if you find it, it should be good value
Hudelot Baillet also commendable (plenty and good value)

2 Likes

Bruno Clair’s Chambolle AOC ‘Veroilles’ is awesome and very Chambolle. I picked up the '17 from Envoyer for $70/btl, but I understand it’s generally pricier than that.

I just want to clarify here: when people are talking about Drouhin here are they talking about the Domaine wines, the Maison wines, or both equally?

It would be hard to tell with generic village wines right? They could change parcels from year to year. Same with the generic 1er cru too I would imagine. Just have to trust the producer.

I don’t know if Drouhin has Domaine holdings in Chambolle-Musigny at the village or premier cru level, obviously they have a piece of Musigny itself.

From their website:

Joseph Drouhin owns several Premier Cru parcels. Since they are too small, these Premier Cru vineyards (Noirots, Hauts Doix, Borniques, Plantes, Combottes) are harvested and vinified together. The name given to this wine is therefore Chambolle-Musigny Premier Cru (since the components of this “cuvée” are all Premier Crus).

the difference would come I guess in that they are controlling the farming of those domaine parcels. but your point of changing vineyards is why the distinction is important I think. The Maison bottling is gonna change depending on what village or 1er fruit is available in a given year, but the domaine offerings should at least semi-consistently contain the same fruit because the domaine owns fairly consistent vineyards from year to year. at least that’s how ive pictured it

Great addition Howard. Jouan totally skipped my mind. Right up there as a great CM village.

1 Like

I still have a few bottles of 13 jouan in the offsite, should try some if I can ever get over there

Does that matter or is how it tastes more important? Isn’t the real question whether it tastes more like CM or more like NSG. I don’t care where wine technically comes from, I care how it tastes. Men drew up these borders, they are not coming down from on high.

Is this correct? Does Drouhin buy fruit from different producers in different years or do they have contracts with or tend to buy from the same producers every year?

Just part of the nerdy details, which for me is half the fun of this passion! That said, Barthod BR is a Chambolle in Bourgogne’s clothing, no question. It’s a purer expression of Chambolle than some Chambolles are [snort.gif]

My understanding is they have very stable contracts and relationships and oversee the farming carefully. That’s why even the non-domaine wines are so consistent year to year and maintain the Drouhin style.

I guess my thought is more that a negotiant label COULD. it seems like it would not be great business to rely on year to year contracts to make consistently high quality wines though, so I would guess that John is right in his post above. but that’s what ive always pictured as the reason for the lower price of a negoce label, there’s not quite the same ability to know exactly what you’re getting

The Jouan and Digioia-Royer suggestions are good, also Stephane Magnien which I don’t think was mentioned yet. In general though, it’s tough to find value in Chambolle villages wines. They are expensive because they are Chambolle, but you can get 1er crus for the same tab or just a bit more. The Drouhin Chambolle doesn’t do a lot for me, but the 1er Cru, which ranges from a few bucks more if you stumble on a good deal to $25-$35 more in the ordinary course, is just about the essence of Chambolle-Musigny IMO, from top-notch vineyards across the appellation to make a true appellation blend. I prefer it to their Baudes.

I opened a Meo-Camuzet Freres & Soeurs 2007 CM Les Cras the other night and was disappointed. When I think of chambolle I think of “lacy texture” (thanks Jeremy Holmes!) and elegant and this wine was quite extracted and heavy/disjointed. To add to that it had a woody quality that made the wine taste muddy and dull. I don’t know if this is Meo style or the fact that it was negoc but I didn’t like it. 2007 and needed more time? Go ahead, I’m a big boy and can accept criticism! [snort.gif]