Exploring Chambolle Musigny affordably? (Drouhin?)

Barthod bourgogne is very nearly chambolle, runs about $50.

As much as we complain about auction prices, occasionally you can find steals in mixed lots of non-blue-chip producers. Heck even a case of Bruno clair chambolle veroilles hammered for 75/bottle yesterday.

I am so dense…Ghislaine Barthod CHambolle if you can find it.

Other addresses of interest - Hudelot-Baillet and Geantet Pansiot.

Sigaut
Digioia Royer
Felletig
Verdet

The barthod Bourgogne isn’t Chambolle, it’s single vineyard from the bons barons vineyard which is just outside Chambolle.

1 Like

Another good one is Henri Jouan. [FYI, Drouhin has traditionally gotten some or all of their Clos St. Denis from Jouan.]

But, going back to the premise of this thread, I am not at all sure I find all or even most CMs to be red fruited. I think the OP will need to try a few (maybe Bertheau) before he finds one that is. Certainly, wonderful wines are made in CM and they tend to have wonderful aromas, but red fruited? For me, only on occasion.

You might find it fun to compare villages wines from different villages from the same producer. For example,

Hudelot-Noellat CM vs. VR
Jouan CM vs. MSD v. Gevrey
Lignier CM vs. MSD

I like Drouhin’s wines a good bit. But, at the same price, I would take a wine from HN.

I agree that many Chambolle seem more dark fruited except for Bertheau. I think the best QPR in Chambolle is Sigaut (although Felletig is also a very good value). Aabalat had 17 village sigaut for 50 and bussieres for 60 a couple days ago with $12/case flat rate shipping. I didn’t load up just because I have a lot of Sigaut (and drinkers in this price range) but was an excellent deal.

1 Like

Another interesting comparison would be Drouhin (much more elegant) vs. Jadot (more powerful and structured) versions of CM.

I have only had a few bottles of wine from Felettig, but have liked what I have tasted.

I agree that not all chambolle has red fruit, but to me that’s not chambolle I’d prefer to drink.

I strongly second Hudelot-Noellat as a village chambolle (though I think the vosne is their best village wine) and Felettig (hard to find) as good examples of village chambolle.

Whwc is a good source for fellettig.

Sigaut
Bertheau
Hubert lignier (i got mine under $100, might have to search around?)
Dujac

Agree about the pricing. I’ve got 1 bottle left of 02 CM 1er…whopping $40.

RT

Not sure I’d put those in the affordable category.

Lignier’s village chambolle can still be had for $60.

1 Like

In the uk? No bottles available on w/s.

1 Like

Chambolle in general is difficult to drink affordably because it’s such a small village.

Not sure what the reason is for no one having h-l village on WS but stores had 'em last year.

1 Like

I didn’t realize you were that old. I think of you as young. [wow.gif] [drinkers.gif]

Hopefully, next year, the tariffs will go away and prices will come down.

Yup, you’re correct - perils of running the search on my phone. Never mind! (Personally, I don’t love Lignier chambolle anyway - I think it’s too structured. Love the MSD though…)

Not quite – it’s from the Bons Batons vineyard in Gilly-lès-Cîteaux, just across the street from Chambolle. That said, it’s essentially a Chambolle in everything but name, fantastic wine for the level.

1 Like