EWCY visit with The Man, Hardy Wallace

Well. Shit. What can ya say about a visit with Hardy to anyone who hasn’t? He’s wild as hell, he’s hilarious, he’s a wild cap who is un-apologetic about his forward progress of the valley and the wine world at large. He’s generous. He’s brilliant. Most of all he’s fun as hell.

We arrived at Sugarloaf late into this scorching week in Napa/Sonoma and Hardy did not skip a beat. He immediately welcomes you with his, always present, smile and glee and says come on down to flavor town

For any who have not visited Hardy at Sugarloaf, this facility is top notch and is curated to this occasion.

Without hesitation- GO

We start the tasting with our full family of the trip, for one of the first tastings back to Sugarloaf, with the Summer Salters Rose and the salinity with creaminess of that wine is wild. Next we moved to Brosseau Chard which has a touch of chenin and has mouth watering acid and perfect poise. Moving forward to So Good! Orange wine, which is made from old vine chenin and is, in our opinion, Hardy’s best orange wine to date. Following the whites, we moved to the Local Election Red, which is juicy, crunchy, acidic, gulpable and amazing as all Hardy’s wines are. Next, we had the Mighty High, which despite not being paired with one of my favorite Jerry Band songs, is exceptional and for those classic DnR fans, this feels like classic Hardy. Our final wine was the Yeah Camp #1, which demonstrates classic Hardy, but also the freshness of Yeah! that he really has perfected. This is a wine I’ll hold alongside Legends and Maple and Herve for 10 years before I pop the first of mine own. Marvelous.

Overall, I think what has been abundantly clear is that Hardy has upped his game to the next level. If you were close to liking DnR, then you will LOVE EWCY. If you liked DnR, then youre salivating for your next bottle of Yeah! wine.

Hardy is insanely generous insanely kind and just a gregarious human. What’s wild and super fun is that this is also so transparent in his wines. He said it best by saying, “I hope to cross Fun wine with Fine wine” and in that regard, he’s lights out on the new project.

If you arent a fan, you should likely become one.

My last comment is that this really, perfectly rounds out the Napa week for us. A visit with Hardy should almost be requisite. And, for us, it now is.

8 Likes

3 Likes

Nice! Hardy is a gem. Love this!

1 Like

For sure.

Wines are literally better than ever imo.

My grandfather who only drinks parker cab got a case. That’s saying something hahaha :sweat_smile:

1 Like

totally agree- have stated on my several notes here that Hardy has found his groove with Yeah!

4 Likes

(extradimensional wine co) HECK yeah!

3 Likes

I got to help Hardy pick some fruit (1892 zin anyone?) and crush Evangelo last week… keep an eye on these EWCY wines, they are so good.

2 Likes

Hell yea.

He illustrated that the 22’ Evanghelo is BANANAS.

Fwiw our crowd bought an even mix between all the bottles. Something for everyone and everything is for everyone

Hardy laughed mid taste and told Dana ton lock down “fun and fine dot com” bc that’s exactly what he’s producing. Super fun wine, but also classy afff

Ty,

Huge thanks for the kind words and the pictures! It was a pleasure to see you again and a blast to have you all at the winery. I’m so glad you all had an awesome time and loved the wines. I look forward to next time!

Thank you, Joe! Great to have you out last week. We just ran the #s on the finished Evangelho and KAPOW!

Thank you @Dennis_Atick and @bradkaplan !

3 Likes

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

1 Like

Still amped over a great final day in Napa w Hardy. Make sure to add this to your itinerary for your next visit to the valley.

Some additional pics from the day:

2 Likes

WE BACK!!!

Stopped in yesterday for our second trip to Sugarloaf to see Hardy and as he so eloquently put: “sometimes the sequel sucks, but sometimes it rules” and in this instance, it was definitely the latter. Our sequel visit began with some whites including the upcoming Chendawg II. Definitely plan to go deep on this one. We then moved on to reds which included Local Election, Mighty High, Innervisions and Evanghelo. The Local Election is the major underdog here. It’s simply amazing. Then the upcoming Evanghelo release really needs no introduction. As always this wine is just next level. We then moved into the crush facility and tasted some amazing barrel samples including a 50/50 chard/chenin, a pinot noir, a merlot and a cab franc. Reallllly excited to see where these go. I know the amounts are tiny, so will be very interested to see what Hardy decides. I could elaborate on all of these wines, but I think it’s easiest just to express how in love we are with everything Hardy is touching right now. He’s crafting wines that nail the mantra of “fun and fine” and are lightning in a bottle. The energy that Hardy puts into life comes across with each sip of his wines. They’re truly astonishing. No surprise that this was the groups favorite stop, as it always is. I said it last time and i’ll echo the same sentiment. A stop with Hardy should be requisite for a trip to the valley. Thanks so much for hosting us and being a rock star. Processing: 8B75478B-7900-4D01-93F7-1E55D0C3621E.jpeg…
Uploading: 51E85015-6ADF-40E0-9F71-24C8FDD0D24D.jpeg…
Uploading: 3DA6A138-F4C1-4F97-A091-D97BED4C86CA.jpeg…
Uploading: B5ED8B29-D938-488D-AB3E-4EE12AA6993D.jpeg…
Uploading: 6767909D-0009-4C5F-A787-B12AA54D94AF.jpeg…

3 Likes

2 Likes

I visited a few weeks ago and totally echo all of the praise here. I’m drinking the 2021 Local Election Red Wine right now and it’s fantastic. Hardy and Kate’s approach is so refreshing in the wine world today. This wine is 30% Zinfandel, 22% Grenache, 22% Chenin Blanc, 20% Old Vine Mourvèdre, 6% Chardonnay. Exemplary of the approach - unconventional, thoughtful, honest, and flat out delicious.

3 Likes

Ty, Thanks so much for the return visit and the kind words. Hosting you and your friends is a blast!!

Looking forward to the next time!!!

Thanks so much, David! It was great to have you at the winery and just love seeing the response to the 2021 Local Election. I poured it all day yesterday at Raw Wine in LA and it was great to see so many people that shared your impression.

It is a joy to share these wines with people.

4 Likes

Local Election rules!

1 Like

I’m going to pop a Local Election tonight!! Not sure what to eat with it yet.

1 Like

Awesome! Tonight is the night.

It is super versatile. It plays really well in the “roast chicken zone” of wines. For the original release notes, I paired it with white bean tostadas - it went great.

It has excellent acidity, medium-minus body, rounded tannins, and a very long finish. I’d keep it in the the pork, chicken, bean zone. (I haven’t tried it, but I want to give this a shot with pulled pork).

1 Like

Next time for sure, Hardy! Really missed being able to see you, but I know it will happen. Grateful to you, Ty, for these terrific write-ups.

Sante,

Mike

2 Likes

Now I want to try it with my white bean soup.

1 Like