Eric Guido To Join Vinous

Big congrats Eric!
You blew me away on some really cool Italian knowledge a while ago.

Antonio–thanks for showing up a couple of times this week. I’d love to see you here more. (in all of your spare time).
[wink.gif]

Yeah, as the saying goes, if you have something nice to say about someone, why bother?

But Eric’s OK. Never knew him to be at all pompous, likes to learn, and most importantly, my wife likes him!

OTOH - I’ve heard from a mutual friend that he objects to seeds in his tomato sauce. I don’t know - seems a bit precious. . .

So happy for you Eric! I have thought for some time you deserved a big stage gig. Your passion was always on display at NYC dinners with you. Your food knowledge is also a huge plus.

Absolutely.

I don’t like the hype that Antonio tries to generate, whereas I find Ian’s writing more genuinely passionate. Congratulations to Eric, a good business opportunity.

Hey, if we all agreed, then we’d only need one wine critic in the whole world. Thanks and Cheers.

Knowledge handed down from my Grandma, an irrefutable source in my opinion. She was taught by my Grandfather’s mother (she had to make sure his wife could properly cook for her son), off the boat from Puglia and all. Many years later, I taught the recipe to the head chef at THOR (The Hotel on Rivington) back in 2005, and, last time I checked, (although they may have changed it by now) it is still on the menu as their Pasta alla Norma. However, the base sauce can be applied to many different dishes.

Again Greg, thank you for the praise.

Thanks Kelly

I’ve always enjoyed our tastings as well. We walk in similar circles yet somehow miss each other often. I appreciate the kind words. Thank you.

Thank you, I have every intention of proving my grit… and my passion.

Hey Eric, please don’t take down your CT posts, even if you can’t add more. Thanks.

Have you heard of the Italian Wine Doctor?

Are you referring to Daniele Cernilli? I’ve met him. Even have a copy of his last book. Was one of the founders of Gambero Rosso and supposedly originated the tre bicchieri rating system. He’s kind of like a Victor de la Serna for Italy - a journalist who’s been writing about and tasting wine for many years, probably a lot more influential in his native country than in the US, but someone worth listening to.

What GregT said…

Thanks Ross.

This reminds of a favorite quote which came up once when I succeeded my own PhD advisor in a position:
Ben Franklin was the first US Ambassador to France. Jefferson was the second. When Jefferson arrived in France, he was asked by a Frenchman, ‘‘It is you, Sir, who replaces Doctor Franklin?’’ Jefferson replied, ‘‘No one can replace him, Sir; I am only his successor.’’

Ian is an extraordinary fellow in so many ways. (Does everyone know that he is an MD?) I spent 3 days with him two years ago. He routinely recalled incredible details such as the elevation of a vineyard or the length of maceration of a particular wine. And I’m not talking about some famous wine, but some white wine from Southern Italy. Fortunately we now have his two books on Italian wine and Italian grapes which everyone who loves Italian wine should own.

I also know Eric well. I’m sure he is already highly focussed on being an excellent reviewer for Vinous and is not looking to replace Ian.

Very well said, Ken [cheers.gif] .

I will miss Ian’s writing, but as you mentioned, we have his books, and he may author more volumes in the future, so potentially something to look forward to. To be honest, I will miss his restaurant reviews just as much as his wine reviews.

But it is what it is, and best of luck to Eric with the new gig.

Congratulations Eric, well deserved.

You’ve got that right, on all counts.

I suspect Eric will more than excel in restaurant reviews as well.

What he said.

I like the cooking vids he’s now doing for Vinous, too. Have helped me tweak dish preparations I thought I had down.

But about those seeds…