Egon Muller pricing

we had a bit of discounting here too, with the 18 Kabinett coming down to USD $75. I bought one for that price and just opened it with my best friend yesterday. I stand by my earlier note on this thread, remains very locked into what it presents and shouldn’t budge for 15 years. At C$136? No. At C$100, I’m not upset to have spent the money.

See post #32.

$75/bottle retail is a phenomenal price for Sharzhofberger Kabinett 2018 750ML. I hope you purchased every bottle you could. $75/btl retail is essentially a 25% discount , or an entire tier of margin removed, from SRP for ‘18 vintage. Bravo.

+1

+1
As much as I love J J Prüm I must admit that Egon Müller Kabinetts has this extra ZING

I have heard/read about enthusiasts not being impressed with Muller Sharzhofberger Kabinett compared to other Producers when respective wines are tasted in youth. I would encourage these enthusiasts to taste the same wines with ten years of age because Muller Sharzhofberger Kabinett often takes longer than some other wines to reveal full character and potential. The remarkable balance Muller achieves with Sharzhofberger Kabinett is seemingly more revealing with more bottle age.

I generally like Egon’s kabinett but I’d taste before you back up the truck on the ‘18 kabinett. New winemaker in a tough vintage. I think there’s a reason that the price is being cut so drastically.
A

The comment was in the spirit for those who do want ‘18 Kabinett. It is very likely that $75 is as inexpensive as the Consumer will find wine in USA unless the Importer, Wholesaler, or Retailer sells at cost with no Gross Profit. Given the Ex-Cellar price(and prices Ex-Cellar have been increasing each vintage as was confirmed previously during thread), and with the importer taking margin, the wholesaler taking margin, and the retailer taking margin, $75/bottle is likely as low of a price the Consumer is going to find. If the Consumer does not want the ‘18 vintage for reasons you mention, then the price does not matter. I was simply highlighting for those who do.

Not sure that was true if they were first being offered in mid-December.

Agreed. If you like it, it’s a baller price. And if you like to roll the dice, you could do worse than doubling down on Egon. I feel you, Emile.
A

A tough vintage? Not sure you actually know what’s a tough vintage. Try 1987 or 2000 then talk about tough vintages.

You forgot to quote me but I think this was directed at me. 2018 is a tough vintage. You should try the wines and you will see. Try top producers like Keller and Julian Haart still makes some decent wines but it’s not their best work.
A

You are too tough a judge. If you are only accepting of the tippy top then you are not actually a fan, just a trophy hunter.

And trust me, so have tried plenty. Likely many more than you.

Well, my best guess is that when you actually get to trying the 18s you will understand what I mean. I’ve never really thought of you as a trophy hunter but to be honest i don’t pay that much attention to what you are drinking. My advice would be that if you are drinking what you like then why even worry about what anyone says? I don’t think you have to post an apology for being yourself David.

A

Just received an offer for the 2019 Kabinett…at about 60% more than I was offered the 2018. I will probably buy a bit the Le Gallais wines to get my Egon fix in 2019.
A