Egon Muller pricing

The 2016 and 2017 Egon Müller are fantastisch

I have a bottle of 1976 Scharzhofberger BA that I have had in the cellar for over 30-some years, and I am thinking of selling it…as great as it probably is, I might convert it to some cases of Burgundy.

That’s one of very few instances where one bottle of Riesling can probably convert to a much larger quantity of very good Burgundy!

Robert, the 1976 Scharzhofberger BA can still be found for a paltry 5,900 Euros in a Hessian online shop. The 2017 TBA Goldkapsel for only €13,500…. [shock.gif]
Finally, now I understand the term Goldkapsel. Seems to be liquid gold. :slight_smile:

Gee, I would hand it over for a paltry 4500 Yankee dollars. Any takers?

Thanks for this info. I just got an offer for the 2018 GK at $630 and Kabinett at $96. It seems those are good prices. GK is going for $1500+ on WS…

But still at $630 when I can get aged Prum WS GK for 1/4 the price or less, is Muller really that good?

is Muller really that good?

They are different wines. In many ways the nuance is like Burgundian producers and terroir. I find Prum to have variations on the theme of petrol and yellow fruit. When the acidity is on, the wine vibrates in the low frequencies. Warm and true. Muller is all about crystalline tension. White fruit and slate. Top vintages vibrate much higher. Exquisite. If the world ever opens up I think its time for a comparison.

Andrew - FWIW I’m a pretty easy grader on top Rieslings generally (I like a lot, a lot). If you’re looking for a countervailing voice, I would say: No, EM is not worth the extra premium. Rob is quite right with the Burgundy comparison, but for me (unlike with white burgundy) I find a lot of suitable (far cheaper) substitutes that I enjoy.

I think time is a factor- just as with Cristal in the realm of champagne, a Muller wine will almost always perform well relative to vintage- but if you really want to see all the goodies, you have to be very patient.

That said, the current pricing is obviously based heavily in demand from people who think it is important that they own Muller wines versus having taken the time to learn about them, experience them and purchase accordingly. They are unique- so that will always be a reason to buy if you really love them- but the QPR is definitely not there like it used to be (I am a great believer in the notion that QPR does not necessarily mean a low price BTW.)

At current pricing and demand levels, I think it makes the most sense to go after the auction wines in vintages you really like, or older bottles from vintages that are not generally heralded by the average wine consumer but were outstanding in the Mosel. In fact, on the rare occasion they come up for sale, Muller’s older Auction Kabinett and Spatlesen do not attract anywhere near the attention of Auslese and up bottles. 1999 is a great example- Muller made a knockout Spatlese Auction that year which is one of the greatest wines I have ever tasted. A bottle sold at auction recently as part of a small parcel in which I would have- had I bought the parcel- allocated a cost of about $300 to the bottle of Spatlese Auction. I would gladly pay that price for the wine- perhaps even more- to experience it one more time. But $150+ for new vintages that are not from Auction, and at my age, nope.

‘18s arrived Pre-Tariff.

Price for Scharzhofberg Kabinett increased from 63€ (2018) to 110€ (2019) per 750ml bottle at my dealer

Over the last couple of years, the prices of Egon Müller have gone up significantly even for merchants and restaurants who buy direct.

I paid 39€ for 2010 Scharzhofberg Kabinett

I just checked my notes, and I overstated previously. Sharzhofberger Kabinett 2010 was $40/bottle Wholesale(depending on Wholesaler Gross Profit Margin), and not $50/bottle Wholesale, in the USA. Thus, Retail pricing would have been more like $55-$65 depending on Retailer margin. 2010 remains a delicious wine.

If you compare Pradikat pricing above to Regional, Village, 1er Cru, and Grand Cru Burg pricing it is in line, or even less, than comparable Producers and terroir in Burgundy. Muller is a Burgundy enthusiast, too.

Not a bad point. Pretty much lines up with eg ramonet or Leflaive retail pricing in the us.
Envoyer had a big parcel of 17 kabi at 90 sitting for a while.

I suggested such using Mugneret-Gibourg as a loose comparison upon discussing our respective fondness for red Burgundy. Herr Muller seemed pleased, approving, of the concept, although maybe I confused amusement for appreciation.

And that is without US tariff…

Here is your opportunity to buy at lower pricing. All Pradikats you reference except Kabinett are available at lower pricing than you reference with Spatlese and Auslese being significantly discounted. Ready, set, go…

https://www.klwines.com/Products?searchText=Egon%20Muller

This is a really nice post, Rob. What a wonderful description of the differences between two great producers.
A