Eating and Drinking in Paris

Personally I think you are nuts to choose to fly Paris to London but each to their own.

1 Like

I would never fly between London and Paris. Eurostar always. Encountered issues perhaps one out of 20 times, if that.

1 Like

Personally I don’t expect to ever have the need again

+100

1 Like

For Tour D’Argent, what’s the vibe like at the bar? Can you also order from the normal wine list to drink at the bar? Going to Paris for a couple of days this summer and trying to squeeze a bunch of places in.

Part the answer is here… La Tour d'Argent - Wine Menu at the Bar "Bar des Maillets d’Argent"? - #4 by M.Kaplan

1 Like

Motors Coffee was my favorite, it’s exceptional. Substance was closed because they were in the US when I was there, but I’ve heard great things; they’re more a coffee tasting experience. Kawa was good too, it’s around the corner from Les Enfants du Marche.

The barista at Motors also recommended Clove to me, but we didn’t make it there.

Just finished 2 days/nights in Paris.

We went to Clown Bar which has been championed many times here and I will simply vouch for the accolades. Very nice, excellent service, great people watching and interesting and fun food. I would add that before going (or after if you’re young) a visit around the corner to Mobster Bar is a must. Great speakeasy with the feel and chops (you need to know the code to get in) to back up that name. Super fun. Not to be missed.

However…

Perception. 53 Rue Blanche. Just got back. Still trying to process the INCREDIBLENESS of this meal. I think, recency biased acknowledged, that this might be the greatest single meal I have ever eaten. Flawless. 8 courses not counting the 3 piece amuse bouche and the “biscuits” at the end. That was 110 euro and honest to god I feel like we stole money from them. An incredibly talented and subtle combining of Asian (Korean but more than that) flavors and technique and dishes (we had bibimbap as a course) with classic French technique and artistry. Every dish was perfection. It won’t do justice to the items for me to describe them beyond that. Get the full 8 courses. Do that. Photos.

Again, this was a masterclass in conception, detail, execution, texture and flavor. Best foie gras dish ever.

It’s not in the most fashionable part of the city but fuck that. Worth whatever it takes to go there. Nice if not extensive wine list that works well with the food. They offer a pairing as well. Service is excellent. We sat all the way back by the kitchen and watched them prep. Highly recommended.

7 Likes

Wow. I have not heard of the restaurant and there is not much online from the usual sources. I will suss it out a bit. Head to Paris in a couple of weeks. Thanks for posting.

I’m not sure where I read about it at this point. Their website doesn’t give one much to go on. I know that after Clown Bar was locked in for Friday this became my third choice for Saturday. Pianovins was first but they have retired and the restaurant was closed permanently by the time of our trip. We were wait listed at Restaurant Maison and while we ultimately were granted a seating there I had already committed to Perception. Very glad I did.

The food was breathtaking. Every dish was pure perfection. Describing them would be an injustice to the food and flavors. Watching the kitchen work was a great show and I’m super-glad we opted when we arrived (our reservation was at the preposterously early time of 8:00) and were given the option we chose the two top in the very back.

Service was impeccable. Handled by 3 gentleman in a warm and yet precise way. Everyone speaks English which is good because my French is not good enough to have understood the food descriptions.

I have eaten in plenty of great restaurants and had innumerable unbelievable meals. I cannot think of a meal that was consistently perfect in every way from beginning to end. Honestly, I cannot say enough about it but I cannot say much because it was in many ways indescribable. I can tell you that mostly during each dish my dining partner and I didn’t say a word to each other but at the end of each dish we would be like, “Fuck me, what am I supposed to do with THAT!?”

We had a 2020 Millot Meuraault En La Barre for 95 euro and a 2019 Bruno Clair SLB 1er La Dominode for 150 both of which were excellent and worked excellently with the dishes we had them with. Thought the pricing was very fair on them as well.

I’d not hear of Perception until I read this. Will check it out in Sept. Thanks!

That’s for the scoop!

Was there flexibility in the menu? I can handle one meat course but basically on a fish and fois diet

Didn’t ask. It’s partticularly well coursed however. The bibimbap had maybe 2-3 ounces of beef tartare and the veal (last savory pic) was maybe the same. I would throw caution to the wind for the night. If your French is good you could ask in advance. I was sitting by the kitchen and saw no deviations from the menu leave to the dining room.

Was told the menu changes at least monthly and some items may be subbed out every 10 days or so due to availability.

1 Like

ended up having too many early-ish activities that I didn’t get to check out a lot of the coffee shops recommended, but another morning disappointment was that all the pastries seemed to be a bit lackluster, which I wasn’t expecting. Dinner was another story and we were super happy with where we ended up every night.

Le Tagine - excellent morrocan food with a small but good wine list, despite the name everyone looked to be ordering cous cous dishes (instead of tagines). We did both and ended up with too much food. Seemed to be more of a neighborhood spot for catching up with friends.
Le Grand Bain - probably falls in the neo-bistro category, good assortment of dishes and there was a focus on using vegetables (although not necessarily vegetable centric). Fairly extensive wine list, but poorly organized/labeled. Really enjoyed the meal here. There were a couple older American couples also there at the same time, but they seemed to get rushed out.
Early June - Maybe my favorite experience of the trip, they host visiting chefs for 2 weeks and have a daily all BTG list (no idea on bottle list, I think you talk to a waiter and they bring you a recommendation). Ended up eating great pasta/italian influenced food, which I wasn’t planning on originally with a trip to France, but well worth it.
Parcelles - Good food and extensive wine list, a little too polished to feel exciting. Worth going to if you really have an itch for harder to find bottles, otherwise, the restaurant I would least likely revisit on a return trip.
Restaurant AT - Best meal of the trip by far, our meal here was stellar. They were doing a greatest hits menu for their 10th anniversary and it did not disappoint, very happy with everything. Felt fresh and fun, no gimmicks, everything looked and tasted great. Best coffee of the trip.
Juveniles - Great food and experience, probably the most ‘traditional’ food of the trip but excellent, also got the langostines which were excellent. Good wine list too.

Thanks for the write up. So happy you liked AT, Chef Atsushi is s dear friend.

1 Like

I was booked to eat at Perception but changed it as our agenda fill up and we had to chop and change to accommodate changing schedule. It was on a list recommended by a French friend who is in the biz. Will definitely hit it up next time, based upon your review. Thanks.

It was several years ago, but one of the best meals I had in Paris was at AT. I need to go again.

Went to a nice little restaurant tonight: LE MAZENAY.

Right across from the Nicholas Flamel house. Food was excellent, but wine list was outstanding. Highlight was the selection of Ravenau Chablis at half the price of retail.

1 Like

We had a great meal there a couple of months ago- one of our favorites of the entire trip.

Agreed, a thoroughly nice place to eat, and drink.