Easter LAMB SHANKS

Here we have a tasty slow-cooked (3h - 150C/300F) lamb dish with a spicy twist by Gordon Ramsay, a classic at casa Zwick and a recommendation for the upcoming Easter holidays.

Easy to make and the meat is melting in the mouth. I strongly recommend to add a good baguette/sourdough bread for the sauce.

Ingredients

4 lamb shanks
2 carrots, chopped in chunks
1 onion, sliced
2 bay leaves
500-750ml red wine
500ml chicken stock or water
handful of mint leaves, to garnish

marinade
1 green chilli, deseeded and sliced
1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
2 tsp smoked paprika Pimenton de la Vera
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick, halved
3 garlic cloves, chopped
olive oil
salt&pepper

Preparation

1. Put lamb shanks to a form

2. Mix the dolce or hot smoked paprika, oregano, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and 1 tbs olive oil and seasoning together. Rub the mixture into the lamb so that it is well flavoured. You can cook the lamb straight away, but if you have time, cover and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour, or even overnight.

3. Chopp roughly carrot, onions, garlic, chilli

4. Preheat the oven to 150 C or 300 F. Heat a large dutch oven/casserole dish on the stovetop and add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Brown the lamb in it for a few minutes until coloured on all sides. Put the lamb shanks besides.

5. Add the carrots, onion, chilli to the casserole and brown for a minute or two with a knob of butter.

6. Add a bit of the red wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up the bits from the bottom, then bring to the boil to reduce the liquid

7. Add rest of the wine and the water or veal/chicken stock and bay leaves and bring to the boil. Add lamb shanks. Then transfer, uncovered, to the preheated oven. Cook for 3 hours until the meat is really tender. (if the tops of the shanks look like they might be drying out, just occasionally turn them).

8. Remove the cooked meat from the oven and serve garnished with mint leaves (optional) and the cooking juices spooned on top. HAPPY EASTER

„ Well, this worked a treat. I left out the chillies and just put a bit of ground chilli in with the other spices and used sweet smoked paprika rather than hot. Possibly the best gravy I’ve ever made and lovely melting lamb shanks and the butter beans went well with a twist of lemon and chopped mint.

A real heartwarming dish. Thank you.

We had a CNDP Vieux Telegraphe 98 with it which was an excellent accompaniment for this hearty dish.“

Kevin Heatherington

It looks like these lamb shanks are worth to re-cook for the upcoming Easter holidays. :pray:

Buona Pasqua from Tuscany,
Martin

Thanks Martin, this sufficiently inspired me to cook lamb shanks for my kids tonight; the last dinner my daughter is home on spring break. Using seasoning from a recipe that normally calls for lamb shoulder (sage, rosemary, cinnamon stick, white instead of red wine…added star anise for even more aromatics), but it is effectively the same preparation. An older VT would work better but I want to serve Burgundy so '08 Mugnier Marechale it is.

1 Like