d'Yquem vs. Tokaji & Others

I wouldn´t forget the sweet wines of Austria, many certainly on the level of most Sauternes (if different).
TBAs, BAs, Ruster Ausbruch … not only Kracher, but Feiler-Artinger, Schröck, Schuster, Tschida, Triebaumer, Opitz, Schönberger, Lentsch, Nittnaus, Haider … but I´ve no idea what´s available in the US …

oddly, I’m having allergic reactions to Rieslings, and not Sauternes or the single Tokaji I’ve tried so far. Is there something different about how Rieslings get their sweetness? I picked up a few Huets, but haven’t had a chance to try them yet.

Correct as a matter of French usage. But, then, they don’t say Burgundy or claret, either.

Or maître d’!

I guess you could say: “The master of gave me a bottle of of Yquem.”

I think that’s why the English just give up and massacre the French language as needed.

As usual :

1. Funny!
  2. Point made!

Schoffit does an Essencia type wine must (I think it’s about 3% alc. so not technically wine but is about 550g/ltr of sugar) called Rangen de Thann Clos St.-Théobald SGN Larme de Lave. It’s syrup but with massive acidity. Special stuff but a few spoonfuls is enough.

Klein Constantia Vin de Constance from South Africa can play in the big leagues of sweet wines, especially with age.

Huet’s 1989 Cuvee Constance will wipe the floor against all but a very few sweet wines in the world. Mostly certain vintages of Yquem.

yes, Marquis d’Angerville. Or Angerville.

One of the things I really appreciate about Kracher is that they release a range of 10-13 wines each year numbered from least sugar to most and publish tech sheets with the sugar and acidity levels for each. They use two different vinification techniques, 4 different grapes, and release a selection of bottlings aged 5, 15 & 20 years from their library every year along with their latest collection with tech sheets available for everything.

I’ve found their approach to be useful in learning my preferences for sweet wine… ie. taste through their bottlings and use the data to understand what works for you.

(It goes a little faster if you drop by their tasting room near Vienna, where they will gladly serve pours from dozens of open bottles [berserker.gif])